The Zahn

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by mikecaldwell1204, Oct 16, 2007.

1. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

Has anyone on here seen the Zahn that ditchwitch came out with? It looks pretty sweet.

2. Link please I'm curious and too lazy to hunt for it.

3. Mjtrole

Mjtrole LawnSite Member

4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Dingo...look out!

5. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting... wonder how much difference you'd find between these and the mini-skids.

6. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

Our ditch witch representative stopped by the other day and gave us a brochure of this. He did this because we have been dropping our 255sx off at the shop repeatedly because it is vibrating itself apart and things are breaking too frequently. It has over 420 hours and he says that's about the limit for these 255sx. I sure would like to demo one for a little while before we commit to getting one. We have a 410 by the way for the bigger jobs we do, but we do do small residential homes that I feel the 410 is just way too big for.

7. 420 hours? I'm not a trencher expert but if it runs two hours a day that is only going to give you 210 days use. What am I missing?

8. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We have had this machine for 5 years that we picked up from a company we bought out. I don't quite remember off the top of my head how old the machine is, but I believe it had around 200 hours. Now you and I can take care of the machines we use, but how do we know if our employees are taking care of it the same way? I left for vacation two seperate times this summer for a week each and both times when I came back, the machine was in the shop. First time, hydraulic line busted loose and squirted the operator in the eye. He lost his sight for a day and then had a moncromatic vision for about a month. He has recovered. The second time, the whole back end of the plow that the blade is attached to just fell and they had to have two guys hold up the back end while driving it onto the trailer to take to the shop.
    Our company has had a hard time dealing with equipment breakdowns that we have had to resort to witholding pay if we felt it was negligent such as no oil in the machines.

9. Almost seems worth the inconvenience to rent. One of the reasons I decided full time service was more profitable than installation was the elimination of the heavy equipment expense. I can see how that trencher can 1000 dollar you broke. Not factoring in health claims from hydraulic fluid blinding and insurance.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

420 hours is ridiculous. Is it diesel or gas?

If its a diesel, 420 hours is barely broken in on the engine. DW has seriously gone down in quality if the rest of the unit still isn't in good shape.

We had one trencher that was starting to nickel and dime us at about 1300 hours, but its past life was at a rental yard, and you know the abuse they get.