1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

The ZTR somebody should build?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Realslowww, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the stuff I would need it for would be month old pasture grass but then be able to get through it at 5 or 6 MPH and who cares if a liitle is sticking up.

That is the thing why I would want more than a 37 Kaw,I would want to drag the pull behinds onto slopes and that requires more power.

Why cut 6 Ft at a time if with the right mower you can mow 18 to 30 feet.And if the slope is to much for bringing the pull behinds along you just drop some of the units to make it work and then hook them back up when done with the area and move on.

Of course this is for serious big jobs and alot of stuff for the county and state is huge.

2. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

The 37/60 could get through your grass no problem and easy 5 or 6mph, probably much faster than that!
    Way I see it, your looking for quantity, not quality. Do the new SZ come with a RD deck? I cant remember but that may be something to look into as well. If I did road side cutting, I would look more closely at RD for sure.

Im sure the 37 SZ would be able to drag some decks behind it, its just the slopes you may have issues with. But then, you could just un hook the tow decks and smash out the slopes quickly with just the rider.

Another option for you could be a JD out front. They have a very high hp turbo charged machine.

3. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

Ditto........

4. Realslowww

Your mower with the torque wheel motors is what would be the ticket. They should make it. I believe they do do the RD deck.

What was the deck in the video that was connected from the side with the drive to make it work?

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

A flail deck!

6. Realslowww

I never thought about quick change decks but that is a good idea,you are already there with the stock set up, I bett I could change my deck out in 30 minutes alread but if you had quick release pins on the chains you could cut it down to 15. A belt drive is no problem for this either a drive shaft would not be necessary.

Nobody makes a good clean pull behind either, big tires with tractor tread like 16 to 20 inches in diameter with a solid frame and just 4 chains to hang a mega deck with a high powered motor and just adjust the height with the 4 chains and pins hanging the deck.

Real simple, clean, powerful and tuff with big tires ! This thing would mow some chit and cut time down like major major on big open jobs and would be so simple to repair.

You would just have a telescopic or fold out stick on the front of the mower with a flag on each end so you could correctly judge your distance end from end so you would not crash into anything on the side.

It would be the bomb and make the big tractor look stupid and be much more versatile, gas usage would be the major drawn back but it would make up for it in simplicity. You would want carbureted pull behinds fuel injection would be to complex and susceptible to moisture and failure in rain conditions on a unit like this.

7. Realslowww

And one last option on the pull behinds,they would have an electric brake option on one of the axel's of the unit wired at the ZTR with a second pedal on the Z to operate and apply it in case you get into trouble on slopes. :)

8. chips17

chips17 LawnSite Member
    from PA

I just want scag to put winches on there zero turns. Im tired of getting stuck and putting them on my mowers. I want it to come from the factory that way. the cheapest winch is only 60 bucks on ebay

9. Realslowww

Definitely a Z needs a winch + a jacuzzi with a hot tube and bar would be nice with a couple hot bit ches to go in it. :)

10. 2ExploreTech

2ExploreTech LawnSite Member

I may have missed something, how do you compare your design of ~15k to a tractor that costs 100k? For something in the $30 k you can get a 4wd tractor with the tires set out wide - so it can handle any steep hill you want - and stout enough to pull any kind of mower combination you want. Oh, and it's powered via the pto not the belt, use those on the mower.

No, it won't be a zturn, but if your towing something that's the last thing you want, coming down a hill with a load behind you. They already use these set-ups on some golf courses and airports.

What kind of acreage are you doing to justify these large mowers?