Theft of Website Content #2

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimLewis, Jan 12, 2010.

1. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Wow. I just started a thread on this a few weeks ago. But now it's happened again to a greater extent. This guy was REALLY bold. He actually stole EVERY FREAKING WORD, EVERY FREAKING PHOTO and EVERY IMAGE from my site. Even the entire site layout is the same. I can't believe the gall some people have. This guy is in the U.S. so I will be having some words with him. He'll have 20 days and then be speaking with my attorney.

Fortunately for me, I have a good attorney that I have earned a LOT of credit with over the years doing her landscape for trade. So this guy will be changing his tune, pretty soon I bet. Still just blows me away, though....

Here's our site;

And here's almost an exact copy on E V E R Y S I N G L E P A G E !!

2. JimLewis

Wow! Maybe I don't even need to get my attorney involved.

Turns out that there is a whole host of cool things you can do to fire back at people who copy your web page or content;

Unfortunately, it also turns out that I found another 20 or so sites that have stolen my content and/or photos and used them on their site. Oh well, good thing it's winter and I got PLENTY of time on my hands. Hehe...

3. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

you should take your pictures and insert your name on them somehow through photoshop or other program before you upload them to the website. that will solve that problem. your website looks better anyways!:drinkup:
  4. THC

THC LawnSite Silver Member

Your website really does still look a lot better then theirs, their logo alone makes them look like scrubs. But I wonder what real world effect you could have on them as long as they are not using your name.
  5. JimLewis

I agree. I am going to have to start doing that.
  6. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Jim they may not even know it. They may have paid someone to do a site for them and the designer stole your info.
  7. DeereMan85

DeereMan85 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

Surely they would look at the website and notice that they didn't do any of the work shown, right?
  8. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

i guess it is a good thing we have mostly pics with one of our guys in uniform. since we have very distinctive uniforms, i dont think anyone would be that stupid, but we live in america. lots of stupid people
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You have to consider the template that was being used, unless you built it yourself there's just no telling how much
    information that template contained and how much of it would have come as standard, so it is very possible those
    two Web sites were simply built using the same template.

And if it was a designer it's as possible they designed both, crank'm out assembly line style.
    It ain't right but that's how it's done, at this point it's like looking at two Ford Taurus's of a different color, sure it's the same car.

The image bit is a good idea, I believe what you'll be looking for is called a water mark, along those lines.
  10. Kutz Lawns

Kutz Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

As soon as you put any information on the net it is public information and anybody can use it & why do you even care?

Is he your compitition in the same town?

Your getting yourself in a tizzy over nothing and happens all the time!