Theft of Website Content

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by JimLewis, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

if at first you don't succeed, steal from someone successful lol

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I suppose. It's also the lowest form of creativity.

I always think it's hilarious when these landscapers who are supposedly "creative" and are telling people they can create something unique, creative and beautiful out of their yard. But when it comes to something much simpler like a website, they can't think of anything unique or creative at all. The best they can think of is to steal someone else's words or photos. It's sad.

3. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Dont most of you copy your customer testomonials?!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure ... I copy all of them.

To preserve testimonials and references, I copy all of them so that the originals are kept in a fireproof case.

That way there is something to backup the text on my testimonials page.

M. D. Vaden Testimonials Page

As you can see from the photo, the references are photographed, not just copied. And photographed individually as well.

:)

5. mark123

mark123 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like the first domain is hosted at doteasy

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-search/greenparksudan.com

I'm sure theft of content is against their terms of use and if you report a copyright violation to them they will most likely remove the site.

edit to add:
    from doteasy.com's terms and conditions

6. Greenery

Greenery LawnSite Senior Member

Google the text on Scotts homepage and see how many results you get.

7. mikey.hill

mikey.hill LawnSite Member

Good luck with that. There are quite possibly millions of sites that 'share' content, images, layouts etc... A registrar won't take down a website just because of a claim like this.

Here's how it works. If you put it up on the internetz, it's going to get copied, modified, used, raped and pillaged. The End. Until you can convince the EU that this is a serious issue nothing will ever be done. Now, if you can prove in a court that the person is causing serious damage to your business, maybe you have a little financial recourse - but again, that's dependent on many factors ... did the person purchase the domain under a legit company or name, are they located with-in the same state or region as you? This is an endless battle and the only thing you can do is make sure you're one step ahead. This is why sites need to be refreshed, SEO needs to be checked and tweaked every now and then, content needs to be updated and kept relevant and finally you need to link build so that your site will be considered more valuable in the search engines eyes. Other then that it's all fair game.

8. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, they will -- and do. I've had 2 taken down so far already because of me notifying them about violations of the terms of service.

So far, every single site I've gone after has voluntarily removed all of the content or had it done for them. I haven't had the time to go after every one of them. But every one that I've gone after so far has removed the content.

9. mikey.hill

mikey.hill LawnSite Member

I *highly* doubt that.

10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

So far, most or all websites I've contacted using my images have removed them or added the required backlink.

lol

For the one I can recall that didn't, they were just hotlinking to my image. It was only being used at my end on one page, so I swapped it with something I wanted to advertise, and gave the page image a new URL.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.