Theft prevention ideas for 2 cycle equipment?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Bayou Man, Feb 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bayou Man

Bayou Man LawnSite Member

How do you guys identify your equipment (serial numbers) when the numbers are so easily scratched off? Also, any ideas on theft deterrents? I'm tired of buying top quality equipment only to have it get stolen off our trucks! The crews are "supposed to" lock the van trucks/enclosed trailers while they work, but you know how that goes...

2. JimMarshall

JimMarshall LawnSite Senior Member
    from NW PA

Start firing people when they dont follow protocol.

3. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

Brand your equipment literally like cows and logo the hell out of it both hidden and in plain sight. While not perfect, they might think twice about taking something that is marked all over versus something that isn't labeled or has some small ass sticker.

Obviously lock it up, but if a thief wants it bad enough, they are going to get it.

4. HPI_Savage25

HPI_Savage25 LawnSite Member

Use a dremel and engrave your info on it somewhere
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. AintNoFun

AintNoFun LawnSite Bronze Member

paint everything an obnoxious color where no one will want to steal it because they'll know its yours...

6. Oxmow

Oxmow LawnSite Senior Member

When I had multiple crews they worked under the condition that if anything was stolen the whole crew paid for whatever was taken. Small equipment, i.e. blowers, weedeaters, etc. Only took a couple of times for it not to happen again.

7. CLS_Birmingham

CLS_Birmingham LawnSite Member

Paint everything your company colors. That's what were doing with ours right now. Also engrave everything with company name and number.

8. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

Lock it, fire those that don't. Then take any theft out of a crew bonus. Besides. Who cares that much. 2 cycle is cheap, and you can tax deduct the replacement, and I could be wrong but can you tax deduct the loss?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. seabee24

seabee24 LawnSite Senior Member

Theft is apart of business. Do what you can, and besides that make the most of a bad situation. I like new equipment
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing better than spending 400, 500 or a $1000 dollars to save not paying the federal government 300 or $400 dollars. Me personal i would rather have 600 or $700 in my pocket and pay the taxes because my stuff wasn't stolen and i didn't have to replace it. Your crews should all have the keys for the equipment in there pocket and spares in the truck as back ups. And if they can't follow simple directions like locking up equipment and locking it back up when they are done then i think its time some of them find a new job.