Theft Recovery Methods

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Sep 4, 2007.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Has anyone tried anything to help recover your equipment in the event it is stolen?

What I'm referring to is GPS tracking, LoJack, etc..

I'm just curious the costs of such items.:)
  2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

No help, but a funny episode of cops. Ever see the one where they got a hit on a stolen air compressor? Well as a normal person with some common sence, do you figure the average garage air commpressor would have lojack on it? No, it would be a big commercial unit. They pull up to this gargage, go in, and on a trailer is a huge compressor. Well they have their flashlights out searching every corner of the place. Owner shows up and says well its right there. Very funny.
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Nope, no lojak, no sensor.
    But I do have a mean attitude towards theft which any of the local pawnshops know about.
    I have been known to walk in, see a stolen piece of equipment, grab it and walk out.
    And if the pawn shop owner doesn't like it #@$% him as I am recovering what is mine!
  4. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

I do a good bit of preparation so that theft is difficult or counterproductive for the would-be thief. For me it's more effective than tracking down stolen items.

Every piece of equipment is locked, independent of each other, at all times unless it's in my hands and the keys to the truck operate each lock so I always have the keys to everything on me.

I NEVER abandon the trailer or truck, even when stopping to eat, etc. And, I will not take accounts in a crappy neighborhood. Not worth it anyway.

At home I lock up the trailer in the garage, which is pretty secure and out of sight of the road. I also have self-powered entry-alarms on the garage, plenty of light, and a security cam that sees the garage. And, there's a pretty keen black lab that will tell me when anyone's within 500 feet of the place...he never fails. If you make it past him, the security, my Mossberg 500, and the lock, well you've earned whatever it is you came after.
  5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Why recover it ?

it's a simple call to your insurance co. and bam, new equiptment
  6. swingset

swingset LawnSite Member

Yeah, do that a few times and watch as your premiums go so high you could easily buy your stolen equipment back with the difference, or worse your ins. co. evaluates you and drops you.

Good luck with that tactic. Insurance is for the big stuff.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

wow. You must be a feared and well respected person. Either that or a guy who gets on the internet and..............
  8. David C.

David C. LawnSite Member

I know!!! You were a Wells Fargo stage coach driver in past life!!!!!
  9. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, or the company will drop you altogether for too many claims.

David takes bright pink or orange spray paint and tags his stuff...of course I record the serials. And when it walks off, he cruises the pawn shops until he finds it. Usually chainsaws and weedeaters. But, he leaves the rest up to law enforcement.
  10. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

as far as recovery... pawn shops don't usually do stolen checks on stuff. however, here in memphis, the pawn shops provide departments with lists of pawners and equipment, that way WE can check it.

if you find a stolen piece, you need to call the police and don't let the equipment leave your eyesight. that way it gets recovered and removed off the national computers.

as far as the episode of cops... when i saw the word lo-jack that immediately came to mind.