Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentcausey, Jun 25, 2008.

1. brentcausey

brentcausey LawnSite Member

Any of you have a way of preventing theft from your own driveway/carport? I have my hitch locked on my trailer, all weedeaters and blowers are in locked racks with padlocks. I had one weedeater that wasn't locked and was stolen out of my carport during the day today. I thought abou getting a wireless outdoor camera.. I really don't want to start locking it in a storage facility because that will require extra driving before I go out to cut yards.
  2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Privacy fence with a locked gate. Driveway sensor wired to a very loud alarm.
  3. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

lock the unlocked weedeater
  4. Turf Gnome

Turf Gnome LawnSite Member

Motion lights are always good.
  5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

motion dogs and a fence are the best.dogs rule.the cheapest protection and burglar alarm you can buy and they will even clean your face if you leave food on it.
  6. TheChiefsLawnCare

TheChiefsLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

I love this guy. Yeah man, id say dont leave stuff like that unlocked. other than that get a fence and some lights. a camra isnt any good cause police dont no people by face and the news wont broadcast his picture on the news cause he stole ur trimmer. jus lock it up and u should be ok. ooo make sure u always have a good lock on ur trailer. get one of those that fits inside the ball hole thing. and have a lockin hitch pin. those kind with the freakin pin that you can pull out arent no good. get one from master lock that you need a keep to take out.
  7. Turf Gnome

Our Rott Aja' will bark at just about anyone in a mile radius, she's indimidating as it is, but...on my trailer I have a ball lock (that goes under the hitch coupler) and also an "Alpha Lock 2000" wheel lock that cuffs one of the wheels (like a boot). That way if they decide to hook it up any-which-way to their rig via chains, etc. The trailer will not go anywhere because the boot is on the wheel. I also locked the rims on the wheels using lug nut locks so they can't take the wheel off (tandem axle) The best 80 bucks I ever spent for peace of mind.
    If they get by that, they can't outrun a .45 ACP.
  8. brentcausey

brentcausey LawnSite Member

I've got 2 motion lights on each corner of my carport. I have a 18 foot ski boat parked directly in front of my trailer so it's almot impossible to see the crap anyway. The trimmer was stolen during the day ( along with a $300 sub/box/amp that I take out of my boat when it's parked). I called the police and had a report and they said mower/trimmer/blower theft is going crazy in our area right now. Ridiculous. The trimmer he stole was old and I barely used it unless we had 3 guys working - but it's the fact that he walked into my territory and jacked my crap. I'm good friends with the ONLY car audio place in town so if homeboy goes to have it installed the guy who owns the place knows my stuff and is going to give me a call.
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Here's the bottom line. They'll have it if they really want it bad enough despite what ever you do.
    Now, you can deter them somewhat by layering your security.
    What I mean is, add cables and big master locks to what ever is locked up now. One step further would be to add a second cable so it slows them down a little more.
    Take the wheels off your trailer when it's not being used etc...
    Layering is the best method besides an armed guardor a guard dog.
    Lights, cameras may deter some but won't stop anybody. Tony
  10. Turf Gnome

Razor wire is always nice. but the cleanup is messy!