Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by ChadsLawn, Jul 14, 2006.

1. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Some people really have some balls. Right out of my garage they steal my blower. I must have been in the bathroom or something. Because I dont leave my house with the garage door open. My only blower I had, and cant afford another 1. Now what do I do? I guess use a broom? Kinda hard to clean under the vehicles with a broom though.No I didnt have insurance on it.
  2. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take any offense to this question... I'm wondering how you are in business if you can't afford a new blower if needed?
  3. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

I hate to say this but Home cheapo!They sell echo straight shaft trimmers I have been using one for a while. Im all for supporting the local landscaping co. but my kids give me gift certificates from there so why not use them. Get a credit card, They also sell reconditioned toro and honda mowers. Theyre actually new, what happens if someone takes one home and they cant get it started and they bring it back they send it to the local dealer for a going over,Then they sell it for about 30%off. Good Luck!!!:usflag:
  4. ChadsLawn

isnt this "just starting in business" section? yes Im just starting out. I only have 6 accounts that I just got in the past month. Thats why I cant afford a new blower.
  5. ChadsLawn

Yes Im going to home depot or lowes to get a blower. It wont be the best, but it will do for now.
  6. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

by a cheap or used one or go steal someones or borrow a friends if u know anyone that owns one
  7. sweatyclippingcoveredguy

sweatyclippingcoveredguy LawnSite Member

Take out a small loan and get basics that you need so you can work on your credit. It only has to be about a grand or so. Use it as start up cash and get crap like tarps, rakes, limb lopers, hedge trimmers and anything else that will pay for itself. Once you pay off the loan you should be able to progressively take out larger ones.
  8. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry Chad, I completely forgot this was the business starting section.

If I were you I would do what everyone is recommending (which Is what I also did when starting out). Get a credit card with a 0% APR introductory rate (most cards have this for a year) and use it to buy whatever you need to start with. Once you've made some money over the year start to pay down the credit card. One way or another, it's a free loan until that year runs up. Good Luck :weightlifter:
  9. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

Well that sucks man...but live an learn, and hopefully you learn that the 1st thing you should get to protect your new business is "INSURANCE!". I mean, if this is going to be your new business and your going get mad at other peoples balls, you should get mad at yourself for not protecting your investment, yes it sucks that there are people out there that don't give a **** about anyone but themselfs, but this is why they have ways to protect ourselfs, or at least give us some comfort that we will be taken care of.

Now on the flip side of that, did you call the police and give them the Serial numbers from the Blower, cause if it gets taken into a repair shop at any time, they punch that number in their system, and it will show up as stolen, and badda bing, revenge, even if it was sold to someone else, its against the law to buy hot items.

and just to recap, GET INSURANCE!!! Its not that expensive when you take into consideration what just happened to you.
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Your homeowners or Renters insurance should cover ot.
    Unless it's worth less than your deductable.