1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Theoretical company restructuring question....

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Ozz, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Ozz

Ozz LawnSite Senior Member

If you ran a company that did clearing,some treework, utilities, excavation, demo... and you needed to restructure your buisness and had this equipment,which would you sell/change if you had to?

Case 580,590 (4k hrs,paid for)

BC S220 (1000 hrs)

Takkie 150 (2500 hrs,paid for)

Volvo 145 (2k hrs) (paid off.)

Takkie 138 (500hrs)

BC T320 (1500hrs) (dedicated mowing machine)

Botie L48 (paid for)

Cat 906H (50 hrs on it.)

Anyway,what would you do?
  2. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

4/8 machines are paid for, what more do you want??????
    No sense having a big ancy business with thousands of dollars worth of payments going off you account every month, if they are half paid off and they don't break down, keep them, any thing you do is profit.
  3. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

It depends on your work. You obviously purchased the equipment at one time or another because you needed it so what is sitting and what are you using?

If you do sale something you may need it later down the road so keep that in mind.

Might sale one of the Backhoes since you have 3.
    Maybe the S220 could go since you have Backhoes and wheelloaders.
    The TL150 will not bring much money with those hours.

I agree with Ron on keeping whats paid for.
  4. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton LawnSite Senior Member

The two things i could see you dropping are the S220 and the L48. Unless you use the S220 a lot, say as a dedicated demo machine i don't see where i does anything your other machines can't. Depending on whether you still use your L48 a lot or maybe have jobs where it is the only thing that will work i'd look at selling it off too. Out of curiosity what direction are looking to head equipment wise?
  5. Ozz

I'd like to go more towords pipe work right now. This is kinda an ongoing project I'm continuing should I take a buisness class like 320D did... (it ain't real folks..) Bigger, if possible but not huge to where i Sc&ew myself if I can't make payments.
    Okay, so I'm dropping the 220,and 580. I'm afraid if I lose my small equipment and grading and pipe goes down, I'd at least be able to fall back onto landscaping,creek band stabilization etc, where you need smaller equipment. Where do I go now? 235? 290? 360? and a loader to be able to pick bigger pipe?
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Going off what equipment I see the pipe guys here, they have like 400/480 size hoes and 3/4 yard wheel loaders. The bigger ones have just about every size from a mini to crazy big.

I would dump the TLB's, trade the 906 for a 3 yard wheel loader and maybe get a bigger excavator? You would probably need a decent sized dozer in there also. I like idea of the Bobcat 220 size with the Tak 150 and 138, that should give you a good mix for smaller stuff.
  7. nedly05

nedly05 LawnSite Senior Member

Is the volvo 145 the short radius version of the 140? Could you trade the small cat loader and one of the case hoes toward a nice gently used 3 yard loader? Is the 145 big enough to be productive on pipe jobs? Depending on the digging I would think it could, the downfall is the reach. I would think judging from what pipe work i have seen, if you had a 225 size excavator and a 3-4 yard loader you would be in good shape. Keep the little stuff though.
  8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of pipe work? We do a lot of our drainage work with a 25 ton hoe, reduced tail preferrably. This stuff isn't too deep, typically no more than 10-15 feet. Once we start getting down deeper than that, it's nice to have a 30-35 ton hoe for dragging bigger boxes and it's a little easier to go deeper with a bigger hoe. A 3 yard loader is the standard around here for keeping up with a 25-30 ton hoe, 4 yard for 30-35, 5 yard for any hoe 40 tons and larger.
  9. Ozz

Yes,the 145 is a 14-15 ton (depends on how its set up) ZTS machine... I doubt with a 1 yd bucket, I doubt I'd be able to beep pace with a bigger guy and his 300 size. Depth would screw me too with a 145 vs 290/300/360 size hoes.

Stuve, I couldn't get rid of the TLB due to water company jobs.
    And my ops could probably go from 140 ZTS to 290/300/360 size but a 140 to 450 size would give me nothing in between my smaller, less that 20 ton hoes,skids etc and 50 ton excavator. That's a 35 ton diff between excavators.
    It would give me nothing to do work with 30 and 36" pipe where,in my opinion a 15 ton ZTS would be too small and 50 ton too big. I think a 360 could dig for up to 48" but not pick and set it.
  10. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry, I just don't give love to TLB's.:)

I know the one company has a couple 235 Kobelcos and have seen them out on street/pipe projects, another one has a 225 Hitachi also. Other than a bigger excavator and wheel loader you're close.