1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy, Mar 29, 2003.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Do any of you use the theory "I would rather breakeven at jobs, than see a competitor there. If that is what it takes."?
  2. turfman59

turfman59 LawnSite Senior Member

Breakeven means what ???
    The only place breakeven is acceptable is in a municipal or Govt setting,,, maybe a church organization
    Breakeven means non-profit

How do you feed yourself or your family..

My answer would be **** NO
  3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

4. garyslawn

garyslawn LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

NO. Never work for free. I always thought I could make a fortune selling red shirts with white letters that say. "IF IT DON'T PAY, DON"T DO IT>"
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Breakeven:confused: Why bother??? You're running a business...unless you feel it's a hobby or something:dizzy:
  6. A1 Lawn@Landscapes

A1 Lawn@Landscapes LawnSite Member

I can break even by taking my son to the batting cage, fiddling around with the garden, or anything else that I would rather do.
  7. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

Not a chance. If my competitor can do it for less...power to him. I'll be waiting for him to go outta business, and pick up the contract a "my" price later on. No sense working for free. I'd rather be making some $$$ to pay off bills...and a little to live on.:cool:
  8. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not agree with that. I am not going to struggle just to keep a competitor away from a job. Although every customer is different.
  9. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds nuts to me!!! In my area I have too much profitable work to do. I am not the least bit worried about the competition. Keep that kind of practice up and you won't have any working capital !!!
    :) ;) :) ED
  10. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most sensless thing to do! NO! NO! thats a form of LOW-BALLING!