1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

There goes the neighborhood...

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by airtractrdrivr, Oct 15, 2004.

1. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

It seems that TruGreen has all of a sudden started doing two commercial properties in my town. I am making copies of every factual thing I can find on TG and their problems and practices, and distributing it to some of my clients. The guy just smiled and waved as I drove by... I wanted to give him the bird real bad, but I decided I was better than that... at least I was right at that moment.
  2. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

here's a statistic for you

in 2003 Trugreen generated $1,347,000,000 in sales (thats billion for those of us who are mathamatically challenged)

they did twice as much in $$$$ then the number two company ValleyCrest
  3. lawnboyCO

lawnboyCO LawnSite Member

Be careful when messing with the big dogs, don't bash too much because they do have the funds to make things happen, you gotta realize they have like a 50% retention rate, so chances are they will lose at least one of those customers and thats where you come along and keep that property forever with the interest they created. I would definitely recommend not putting out negative information about them or others companies though, its just bad business.
  4. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I saw that stat too!! Unbelievable the lock they have on the industry.

They are ALWAYS going to be around so you have to beat them with quality and service I know I cant beat them on price.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

True Green was the first company to make lawn care spraying a real business. So in many ways we owe them a debt. However there marketing practices which make money are a numbers game. Low ball pricing to get in the door and keep unhappy customer is there only marketing advantage. Quality work will knock them out of the box quickly.

Service Master started True Care Land Care a few years back and we all got worried both here in Florida and nation wide. Their National sales staff pick up a lot of national accounts, while there local salesman Low balled large condo, HOA and commercial building. Interesting enough the quality of their work has all but the Cheapest Bean Counter dropping them. Yes they are still around, But don't appear to be a big factor in my area.
  6. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

Yeah, you've got a point there. I'll just wait 'til they screw up (and I am sure they will), and take it from there.
  7. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Be better than them. This dweeb that waved at you (sarcastically I bet) was probably delivering pizzas 3 months ago.

It is seldom wrong to take the high road......

TOTALLAWN OF KY LawnSite Member

what about the old saying about plenty of fish in the sea??? if it were not for them who would we try to be better than?? i like it when someone says tgcl...i give them the ole i am a smaller company with more to offer trick ...
    seems to work fine. There is more than enough work for everyone out there and i pride myself on how much i can get.so if your really hungry dont let them get under your skin. at least here in ky they have high prices so i set mine right up there with theres. i dont undercut them. i tell my accounts im a little higher but i have more to offer lol