There has to be an easier way...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fitzg2md, May 18, 2007.

1. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

I am so sick of changing my blades with a stupid block of wood. its a royal pain in my arse. Does anyone know of some kind of tool to lock the blade from rotating when changing blades on a Exmark Lazer Z? I know the block of wood works just fine...but it annoys me when I grab my wrench/impact/bar etc and then the block falls. Have to put the block back, push on the blade with my hand while grabbing the tool with the other, etc. Why cant the spindle just be locked somehow? Like, I dunno...a hole that lines up that you can stick a screwdriver in or something??? I was so suprised the first time I read the manual and it say "wedge a block of wood...".

Anyone else share my "im too good for a block of wood" attitude?:cool:

Im sure Im making a big deal over something that isnt! haha
  2. ranger350

ranger350 LawnSite Member

Why do you need a block of wood with an impact gun? Anyway, if i need to lock the blades, i just clamp vice grips onto a baffle or whatever so it interferes with the blade.
  3. fitzg2md

fitzg2md LawnSite Member

Wouldnt you still need to hold the blade still when using an impact gun, or have you just solved my problem?:eek:
  4. ranger350

i never hold the blades when using a impact gun.
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

all of the above
  6. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I've never used a block of wood. My Husky impact pops the bolts right out & the blade doesn't even move.
  7. ranger350

The only ones ive ever had trouble with are on my JD 4600 mid mower, especially if you hit something when cutting, lol. The bolts are nearly 2 inches long... all thread.
  8. Vikings

Vikings LawnSite Bronze Member
    from canada

I use my foot... not sure if that's smart or not, I think I'll switch to the vice grip Idea though I have been looking at those cordless impact wrenches.
  9. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You only need a block of wood if your taking the bolts off with a wrench.. I use an electric impact and have never had to use a block of wood.. The spin right off and sprin right back on...
  10. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member