1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

There is no easy money!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by all degree, Jul 14, 2004.

1. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I am 75% lawn care and do one or two fairly large installs per month. Last week a neighbor comes up to me and wants the curb areas in front of her house rocked (8x15 and 5x8 115sq ft). I really do not want to do it so I give her an estimate right there. Two tons of stone some fabric($100), an hour of prep, an hour to lay it. OK $375.

She says OK. So last night I go over to do the prep figuring I will rock it on Sat. I spent two and half hours with another guy just trying to get the area 2"below grade so I could lay the rock. (its still not finished) I am so sore today its unbelievable. I will still make some good money off it but it seems that things are always harder than they look.

Anyone esle like me always picturing things much easier than they are????

By the way the reason I did it during the week was b/c this is a summer house for them and I figured it was not going to take me that long. So I wanted to do it when they were not there so that they did not get pissed if it only took me 1.5 hours. Man was I wrong.
  2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Anytime I ever say "that'll take a couple of hours" it ends up taking a couple of days = Murphy's Law.:(
  3. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing I have learned over the last few years is to always take a shovel with you when doing the estimate and try to dig a small section in the area where you will be working. It's important to know how hard and compacted or rocky the soil is because that is where you will lose the most money.
  4. all degree

The sad part is I know that and usually practice it.
  5. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

If it's something I would rather not do, I figure the cost in my head like a regular estimate, then I add 50% for "Don't-wanna-really-do-it" factor.
  6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

21/2 hrs for 2 men and your not done yet, Why after the first 15 min. you did not figure that it was going to take longer than you expected and go rent a bobcat or mini- excavator to make the job easier and quicker. It would of cut into your profit margin but so does 3 times as long as you estimated plus the job would have been finished.

7. all degree

Dirt you are in a dreamworld if you think that I would rent a bobcat for a $375 job. I have an one man hour left to do the stone. The hours are as expected it was just that I sweated a lot more than I thought I would.

High Grass I do the same thing with the I dont want to do it thing... Should have done it on this one
  8. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Yep, I mis judge things from time to time. I always know if it requires moving soil and or rock....I ain't doin it cheep.......
  9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

That is preciselly why I always "pad" my estimate as well.. The Don't wanna Factor!!LOL Usually 10% on my Labor.
  10. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes my mother its always could you give me just 20 mins in the lawn and the job is never 20 mins or even 2 hours. Theres a reason she does not do my estimates.