There is no escape

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TURFLORD, Nov 26, 2005.

1. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

I've been doing maintenance for years. I like it in spite of the lowballers, pita's, competition, etc. Cutting brings in money every week. Chem-apps are exellent $. I see lco's that have moved into landscaping and hardscaping trying to rise above the usuall cr@p. Not in this area anymore. Several companies are specialized into pavers only. I've lost several jobs to guys pricing work at half of what I would. How do they do it? P!ss poor work. The customer sees the price and doesn't know the difference. I was cutting one day at one of these lost jobs and saw the crew bust up the slab, throw down 1" of dust on top of clay, then start dropping bricks. The cancer cloud from all the dry cutting was nice too. Two years later the patio furniture rocks back and forth very nicely. How many guys out there notice this and are going to continue the way they are?

2. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

In those situations, you should be able to keep your regular maintenance customers for hardscaping work. As for the quality of the work of other companies, why not ask the victims if you can take pictures to use for sales presentations? You can tell prospects that "This is the work offered by some of my competitors. You get what you pay for."

You might also ask the victims if they'd like to get it done right this time...by you. Look, if the lowballers are giving you the ammo of their incompetence, use it!!!!

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I think it is good for business. The old saying you get what you pay for really seems to apply the longer I am in business. Ask yourself this, do you really want the customer that is solely seeking best price? If they are doing that before you start a job with them, imagine whats going to happen when you start the job. I look at it as no loss for me a loss for them...a little cocky on my part, but hey one of the benefits of owning my own business.

I've gotten a few jobs now where the owner called me in to correct the problem of 'the lowerst bidder'.

Try and sell the quality of your work, your experience, etc. Selling price just isn't going to work. If the customer doesn't want to hear it and just wants the price...walk away...then you have nothing to complain about.

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We give customers a price to do a quality job and if they don't like it they can find someone else. There is plenty of customers that want to pay to have a job done right the first time. Most of the time you can tell right away if the person is a price shopper and these are not the type of customers we want to work for.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

yes, there IS AN ESCAPE. adapt! i make sure my customers know, if it's a crappy job they want, i'm just the man to give it to them. the days of, "i'll do a great job, and charge top dollar" are gone, GONE, gone. u need to produce a product that SELLS. if it's mediocre work they want, then it's mediocre work, they will get. dollar to dollar, it all equals out in my wallet

6. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

yes, but he still went with the lowest bidder the first time around. were you the lowest bidder on the repair work?

bobbys right. ALL the big companies around here are just like that.

7. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't educate all the people all the time, and the price advantage is the very reason that small companies have to compete on the basis of service/quality in the first place. Not only is there no chance of competing on price, competing on the basis of service/quality is also the only approach that has a prayer of working to begin with.

8. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

very true... but you can also try the approach.... "hi, im joe, im uninsured and not licensed... desperate for work.... and willing to do it for free."

you'll get more jobs that way. you wont make any money, but you can brag about being big time with those hundred jobs you got a week. :dizzy:

9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Don't know...didn't ask. I gave them a price, they accepted it, we performed the service, issue was resolved, I got paid, end of story.

10. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

spot on and as was mentioned before there plenty of people around who are more than capable of cheap pathetic work if i dont wish to be in that market i wont