There's got to be an easier way...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nobagger, Apr 17, 2006.

1. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Is it just a matter of blowing off the winter rust or is there an easier way to do these dreaded spring clean ups? I picked up a bunch of new customers and the previous guy didn't do any type of a fall clean up, so you can imagine the mess. I run 3 guys and we use the typical b/p blowers, rakes, Little Wonder Vac (for getting leaves and junk out of the flowerbeds), Little Wonder 10hp w/b blower. You would think it would take us no time at all with our equipment but man, it seems like its taking us all freakin day, well it is actually. Would a leaf loader make a huge difference? Our Little Wonder Vac does great until you hit the wet stuff then it clogs in no time flat! Would a leaf loader clog sucking up wet leaves and debris or would it go right through it? Signed...Loosing my arss on spring clean ups!

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I speak from experience when I say no.

This is why I fairly refuse to do spring cleanups for leaves that haven't been touched all season and here's the actual reasons:
    An Lco refused to do them? This may indicate someone wasn't willing to pay enough, a common trend more than a few folks can't see how it could cost more than 60 or 70 bucks to clean and haul away a layer of leaves 4 inches thick on a 1/2 acre lot, as a severe example of the general problem concerning this bs.
    Snow, rain and cold / freezing temps really do a number on the leaves, the longer they sit, the worse it gets. The weight of wet leaves plus falling precipitation literally entrenches and embeds the leaves into the dirt (and I mean down IN TO the soil), with subsequent frosts fairly gluing them in there. If a lawn is mostly grass it's bad, but weeds make matters worse as the hairy filaments of weeds stick to the leaves making it all but impossible to remove the leaves with anything except a backpack blower at full throttle with an almost vertical force of wind to unglue them almost one at a time - a painstaking, and slow process.

If you have enough work or you have enough money where you do not need to tolerate this, do yourself a favor and quote double whatever you think the estimate should be, as you'll either get paid closer to what it is worth or they find someone else to deal with this royal pita of a job.

Way I see things, pay for the cleanup when it should've been done or pay more later, procrastination does not make it cheaper.

Sorry to be upfront, but I've been there a few times heh.

3. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

No [​IMG]

4. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

We use a couple of Echo PB751T backpack blowers, two guys, and a clamshell bagger to suck up the piles of leaves. This has been the most efficient method for us.

5. Viseras lawn service

Viseras lawn service LawnSite Member
    from 6

1 guy on wb blower. 2 guys bp blowers verticle force of the bp blowing down on the ground lifting the leafs and the wb blower gets them moving...all 2 walk in a horizontal line....bp blowers blowing in the WB blowers path...

if it gets to be too much, bag some with the lazer, or tarp them into the truck/woods.... we only put our loader on in the fall for the heavy leafs...spring cleanups are easy enough with tarps and lazer w/ vac.

but the 3 guys with the blowers can get all the sticks + leafs at the same time and leave a manicured finish on nice lawns....even better to vac the lawn after with the lazer to improve appearance.... 3 guys can do about 4 cleanups per day around here... 1-1.5 acre lots or so...