There's one in every crowd and here I am! HELP!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Janice, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Janice

Janice LawnSite Member

I do not have a lawnmower business but I do have alot of grass to mow and here is my problem.
    I have and older Craftsman riding mower with a Briggs & Stratton 15 HP motor, Model # 28N707. I started it for the first time this season and it started throwing big billows of smoke out the front. I checked it out and noticed it was spraying oil and that is what was causing the smoke. I opened the thing-a-ma-jig that holds the air filter and inside the black box that the filter sets on has oil laying in it. Does this mean that I am going to have to start digging a big hole and lay my precious lawnmower to rest and grow wheat where my lawn is now? This might be a good idea as I have no money to buy another lawn mower. Wonder what the neighbors will think? I sure would appreciate any ideas on how to go about fixing it or just what the problem with its bad behavior is. Is it a goner?I am a girl, guys, so go easy on me.
    Thank you kindly, Janice

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Did you overfill the oil?Check the oil and see if there is too much in there.If there is then drain and refill to the proper amount and wipe the excess oil out from where you see it there when you take the air filter off and change your air filter.Could be more serious a problem though..but that's where I would start.

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with sheshovel, too much oil will do that to a mower. if that doesnt fix it, check the crankcase vent(assuming your motor has one) to ensure its not screwed up and pressurizing the case somehow.

Dont feel too bad about the not knowing whats wrong, we all had that problem with something at one time or another.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the float valve stuck from sitting and possibly flooded fuel into the crankcase causing a high oil level. Check the oil for a fuel smell and being really thin, If thats what you find the carb. will need to be taken apart and cleaned with carb. choke spray cleaner and a new float valve installed. Then of course change the oil and install a new fuel and air filter.

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

is this a vanguard engine?

6. Restrorob

Sorry Mike, It's a Intek.

7. mike lane lawn care

that explains it:laugh:

8. Restrorob

Now now Mike, A vanguard can do the same thing. :laugh:

9. mike lane lawn care

well i guess you're right, i had a head gasket go on my old vanguard, and it pored out smoke. was fixed in three hours.

10. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

or any engine with a float type carb.