1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thermal Bluegrass/tall fescue blend?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Turfdoctor, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Turfdoctor

Turfdoctor LawnSite Member

I am in middle TN. We have overseeded the past 10 years with the latest,greatest tall fescue blends. I am considering blending some of Scotts Thermal Blugrass this year with Southern Gold fescue blend. Thermal has not been around long, so I need to know if anyone else has tried it. The seed supply was very limited in 03, but this year its more available.I looked a local sod farm in late July. The thermal looked killer compared to the "Brown Patch" infested tall fescue. Patch is the #1 enemy in middle TN!!!!!!! My guess is that the thermal will have some thatch issues in a few years, but am curious if anyone has used it in transition zone.Thanks :help:
  2. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I'm using a fescue-thermal blue blend this year for the first time. I get tired of re-seeding the same lawns every year as a result of brown patch and am hoping the thermal blue will prove to be more resilient than the fescue. On of my reps said that hybrid bluegrass is so superior it will render Kentucky bluegrass obsolete in a matter of 5 years or so.