These guys are driving me nuts!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Carolina Cutter, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

Today I look in my local rag (newspaper) classified section and I see another ad for people claiming to be lawncare companies (really guys with a mower and very little knowledge or commitment) advertising that they will do everything (mow, trim, edge, blow, weed, leaf cleanup and removal from site) for $35 with no size restrictions. I know, I know, we call these jerks and scrubs and I know they are not making money but they are killing me. I am often asked about these guys and advise my customers if they hire them to do all these services for $35 they are going to get a lousy job. I have a friend with a 5 acre lot and I am trying to get him to call one of these scrubs and spend the best $35 of his life.

Sorry, just venting...........................:mad:

2. JohnK

JohnK LawnSite Member
    from Seattle

I realize their open ended "$35 for any lot" is extreme, but on average what will you do for $35? 1/4 acre mow+trim? 1/2 acre?

Just curious.

3. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

There's a guy around here that advertises $25 mowing and $25 clean ups, any size lots. He also prints his own signs on torn cardboard with magic marker and nails them to telephone poles. Kinda indicative of his work, no?

4. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

Don't get me wrong, I agree with all of you , but I'm getting sick of seeing all of the scrubs get all the work. All this scrub vs. professional is bull$%*#. It is getting hard to swallow when my 2 year old is going hungry. I had a customer "show me the door" because he got a mower and cut it himself, rather than pay me. I know he will not get the same results, but it doesn't matter, he is still gone. It's hard to see a Buick towing a Crapsman working, when your sitting at home collecting your thoughts with the best commercial equipment ,.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have just come to learn that they individuals come and go every year, some don't even last the whole year. You just have to keep a professional attitude and educate your customers on choosing a proper lawn care company.
    But like I have always said, a customer that chooses another LCO only price, is a customer that I don't want to have in the first place

6. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking of subbing out all of my leaf removals to one of those $35 scrubs. I have one account that's 4+ acres with oak, maple and magnolia trees galore. He'll spend a week on that one for $35. Have him sign an agreement before showing him the property stating that if he fails to complete the job he has to pay me at my rates (100/hr). Let's see how long he stays in business.

7. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Best ad I've seen yet, the headline "I'll beat any price" on mowing edging, trimming, etc. think he'd do my yard and pay me??
    Norm

8. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Are you going to worry about every stupid add that is put in the paper?

Are you going to worry about every flyer in your mail box showing they will cut for less than you?

Are you going to let them dictate what you think about everday?

Are going to let them create more stress for you?

9. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

If your answer is YES to the above four questions, or at least one of them, you should'nt be in the lawn care business.
    There is nothing as good for your business as good strong competition. It will make you grow as a business man and it will make your business stronger / wealthier.

DONT be too concerned about and too worried about these so-called "scrubs" (future LCO's) Not all of them will make a full time career out of it and the bigger gross of them will eventually (usually after the 1st season) fall off the bus.

Get focussed on your own operation, put your equipment to work and don't sit and watch the Buick's with the craftsmans drive by. They're make'n the bacon and you're not!

Good Luck
    PC

10. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

If a Buick pulls a Craftsman, they can call it B& C Lawn care and sell crack on the side in between mowing. You will really be out of luck then.

Seriously, The idea of someone pulling mowers with a car should threaten not one of your GOOD customers. However, if you are just starting out, they may well be a threat to you. It's the nature of the beast.