These mowers look alike! Have you tried one?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Critical Care, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You know, these bagging mowers sure look similar. I've used a Walker, but wonder if any of you have tried any others? Did Walker lead the pack with the first prototype?

The mowers below are: Jacobsen, Toro, Bunton, Scags, Walker, and Bobcat.

bagging mowers.jpg

2. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I have run the scag cougar. My boss had one for a day when our 3 wheeler was in the shop. It ran alright, but I would rather have the 3 wheeler or ZTR.

It was 2 years ago, and I was a good 6 inches shorter, the bagging unit made it a little tough to see backing up, and it was akward to do quick turns.

they are alright machines, but i wouldnt own one.

as for the design, they are all similar.

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey, i cant offer to much insight on the bagging aspect of your question however if you are asking my opinion on which rider to choose i would reccamend the bob cat, i have used two of them for many hours and have no complaints at all. also the toro is a well known rider with great customer service and generally many service centers around. on another note i have heard many good things about walkers bagging system, looks pretty good. good luck

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

I choose this one thanks!

I demoed a Scag cougar in a side by side comparison to the walker. Bottom line, the walker was better in every way (by a little) and weighs less and is smaller.

dsc01655.jpg

5. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

Walker owns all those others machince! Remember that whne you got o buy a new machine.

6. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

the jacobson, bunton, and bobcat are going to be similar. They have the same parent company.
    the scag and toro are their own machine. and the walker is in a class by itself.

If you start to look closer at the design of the mowers; in the deck, the bagging and chute design and the power unit you will se the differences.

7. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

You're right Paul, the Jacobsen, Bunton, and Bobcat have the same parent company, but look at how the guy is controlling the Bobcat. Typical skid-steer controls, but I believe that the jacobsen and the Bunton have their throttle levers to the left of the seat. Interesting...

Ksland... I like your toys! And are those low profile tires on the Walker???