these people shouldn't own 4x4's

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mike lane lawn care, Mar 22, 2008.

1. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

hey ya'll. let me start off by saying, i love off road driving, either with my truck or with a 4 wheeler, so i know how to drive off road(and for those of you who enjoy this same hobby, you know it's entirely different from on road driving), but how come it seems that everyone and their sister who buys an SUV or truck tries to go off roading, goes and does something stupid that hurts themselves or their vehicles. prime example; my buddy has an s10 blazer that he took off roading today, he purposely went into a ditch and buried his SUV up to the axles. he then proceeded to call up 3 other people all with full sized trucks (2008 Tundra, Dodge 1500 and Ford F-150) who also proceeded to get stuck trying to pull his blazer out, simply because they didn't know how maintain optimum traction and gunned it, which buried their vehicles as well.

I get the call to come out and do a rescue, i get out there and one by one i pull out the Dodge, then the Tundra, the the Ford, and when i got to the blazer, guess what, i pulled that one out as well. everyone there was so amazed that my bone stock V6 1500 with AT tires, did better than the lifted trucks with mud tires. but it really had nothing to do with the truck's setup, everyone there just spun their tires until they had dug in so deep they were done for. For those of you who off road, you know that you don't do that, you drop it into 4Lo, and just tap the gas until you get moving.

It just really amazed me that out of 4 different trucks, and 7 or 8 people, they couldn't figure out the proper way to do it. Any of you avid off roaders have a similar story?

2. kubotab7200

kubotab7200 LawnSite Member
    from Newkirk

that story makes me proud all my trucks are gmc and chevy!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank god ford dont build airplanes!

3. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah i had to pull my friends jimmy out of some mud and all i did was put it in 4lo and let off the brake my truck has so much torque that it pulled him right out.
    Same set up here stock truck with toyo M55's

4. kklick

kklick LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Hook it and hammer it seems to be what everyone wants to do. I've amazed a few people with what I can get my 2wd asto van through. You're good until you start spinning hard then your done. Low gear and light gas. I agree.

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

They did at one time. :D As did a maker of stainless steel railroad passenger cars.

6. kubotab7200

from Newkirk

i like pullin out those ford boys, cuz they like to TALK about how much better ford is than chevy. it makes me feel good when i come accross one that needs pulled out, i smile the whole time they re being pulled by that silverado.

7. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Some buddies of mine and I had our trucks out one day mud riding in the rain and came upon three trucks full of teenagers; the first truck had gotten stuck, called his buddy who got stuck, and then called a third who was stuck as well.

I pulled them out with my truck, and then two of the idiots proceeded to get stuck again before we drove away (PAY ATTENTION TO WHERE YOU'RE DRIVING KIDS!)

I proceeded to pull them out AGAIN, and warned them that that time was their last (keep in mind it was raining and cold while we were out hooking up the tow ropes for these guys).

Some people think that, because their truck is lifted, 4x4, has mud tires, whatever, they can drive through anything... Obviously they're wrong.

8. Blueribbonlawns

Blueribbonlawns LawnSite Senior Member

Or their just **** stupid and try and go muddin in a stock gmc jimmy!

9. kubotab7200

from Newkirk

yes that is true i had a dodge ram 2500 4x4 with the 24 valve cummins and it wouldnt go through anything, it was pathetic in mud i was also tired of fixin it so i traded it for my chevy 1500 hd that was the best decision i ever made.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

yeh hehehe a bumper-mounted winch is good to have too :)