These Shrubs Went Down Fast

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Green Dreams, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I got called out when a couple of these were browning at the top. We just hit an extra hot & dry spell here and this looked like latent damage now showing up in extreme conditions. Two weeks or so later, they look like this. In one pic, you can see this "ash like" stuff on a leaf. Thanks

MVC-039S.JPG

2. Green Dreams

from Texas

see the ash?

MVC-041S.JPG

3. Green Dreams

from Texas

last one....

MVC-042S.JPG

4. Coffeecraver

Coffeecraver LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA.

Looks like these shrubs have powdery mildew

The shrubs look to be on the decline due to excessive moisture

5. B&B

B&B LawnSite Member

what does the under side of the green leaves look like?

6. Green Dreams

from Texas

I never saw any scale...

7. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

dead is dead man, just replace them
    :)

sorry, i had to say that. we get lots of calls, especially in the spring from folks who say they have dead shrub(s) and want to know what killed them.
    What difference does it make? dead is dead
    I really love the calls that say they have dead shrub(s) and want them sprayed////LOL Oh, you want that miracle spray that puts life back into dead plants??? boy, that'll cost ya...better off just replacing the plants.

again, sorry for jumping in here with my sickening humor (yes, i am trying to be funny) i understand you are a professional and just would like to know.

I looked at the pictures....beats me

Green Dreams likes this.
  8. Green Dreams

from Texas

I always appreciate your posts, too. These went down on my watch. I have been treating this place for years at my former company and he was nice enough to let me do his house and his shop too in my new venture. Pays good money and is a good tipper.

Two things the lawn guy rarely gets...tips and happy housewives. It's always the pool guy...lol

9. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

It's hard to tell exactly what these shrubs are but think they are Japanese Hollies. The reflected heat from both the brick wall and the sidewalk don't help matters during drought/heat. Are they irrigated? The powdery mildew could be incidental, occuring after the damage has been done. Yank up one of the shrubs and inspect the roots. Black roots with no viable tissue inside may indicate root rot from too much moisture and/or poor drainage. Could be a lot of things but the fact is those shrubs are toast all need to be replaced. Take a sample to local extension office for possible diagnosis. If they can determine what it is you may be able to prevent the same thing from happening again by adding amendments, fungicides etc. It may even be necessary to replace all the shrubs including the healthy ones with a species better adapted to your climate and environment.

10. Ray@LebanonTurf

Ray@LebanonTurf LawnSite Member

Good pictures, not so sure the residue on the leaf is powdery mildew and it does not look like scale. It is impossible to be certain from the pictures but it looks a lot more like spray residue to me. Have you teated with a WP fungicide or insecticide lately? Is it possible that someone was power washing the building or windows with a detergent recently? Powdery mildew can be saprophytic but you won't find it on dead or completely desiccated tissue. Do the unaffected plants show the same residue on the foliage? If it's a fungus it is very unlikely that it will skip over some plants in favor of others.

If this happened fast it was probably abiotic injury. See what went on there about the time they started to check out. Also a great idea to take a look at the roots and send a sample to a pathology lab.

Another possibility is excessive moisture / wet feet. That can cause damage if the soil is saturated for 24-48 hours. Any flooding? Any difference in the drainage of the ones that are toast VS the ones that are OK? Proximity to downspouts etc.

Dead is dead but if this is a good client and you can establish that something beyond your control happened here you might be able to reduce your costs.

RB