These stringers are a pain

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DJ Contracting, Jun 27, 2005.

1. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Any advice on how to stop stringers, now let me explain, i have a 2148XL Gravley, and when i am cutting any kind of long grass (more than 4") i get a stringer on the right side between the center and the right blade. Now if i slow down to a crawl this does not happen, of coarse we don't like to slow down. Now i understand that if it is really tall grass this will happen on both sides, any advice would be appreciated thanks.

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

You may want to try a different blade. Sometimes highlifts give extra vacume that help me get a clean cut the first pass. Make sure your blades are good and sharp, and you are sharp to the end and square. Sometimes the outer courner of the blade will get rounded which will hurt you in the overlap area between two blades. Some theorize a blade sharpened to the center will help with stringers. You could also give double blades a try, they often help me get the stringers and with a good discharge as well. Could be a deck design issue as well, or perhaps the deck is not set properly from side to side or forward pitch. Just some things to consider.

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Shady Brook covered it. I'll second it.

4. yard sloth

yard sloth LawnSite Member

how much forward pitch should there be? I think my ztr's blades are pitched down apprx. 3/8" lower in the front. is this too much? how does the pitch help with stringers?

5. out till dark

out till dark LawnSite Member

I noticed over the last couple weeks the same thing.The notched high-lifts are great in lush green grass but its far from that now.Get a set of solid foil blades and you'll notice a huge difference especially at faster ground speed

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting LawnSite Senior Member

Thank guys i'll try new blades seeing how my oem blades are not worth crap.