These tree huggers are getting out of hand...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Sep 29, 2002.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

http://web.outsideonline.com/outsidestore/search/oolreviews/r_dynamow.html

Bicycle-pulled mower. Not exactly zero-turn.

Tomorrow's lawn mower, today
    By Jason Lathrop
    Outside Online
    The pleasant smell of small-engine exhaust mingling with freshly mowed grass doesn't cut it in the pollution-conscious '90s.

And the makers of the Dynamow know it. In their new bicycle-powered lawnmower, free of messy exhaust pipes, this little Colorado company brings us a sort of "Toro Lite.''

A grass-cutter for the millenium, it's really just a tricked-out reel mower (the old kind with spinning blades driven by the turning of its wheels). Instead of using a handle to push it around the yard, you attach it to the chainstay on a mountain bike. Ride around your yard and the unit drags along like a little trailer, throwing a pretty impressive rooster tail of clippings at the right speed.

I found assembly of the Dynamow fairly painless. It only took about fifteen minutes and required no tools. Unfortunately, my Klein test bike had oversized frame tubes that did not accept the Dynamow's clamp. I had to jerry-rig it, forcing the mower into a slightly raised position. It did the job, but I'd recommend using a narrow-tubed bike.

Dynamow cut the test grass competently, though I found maneuvering through corners a hassle because of the poor turning radius. The manufacturer provides an alternate handle for getting at the hard-to-reach spots, but you have to disassemble the whole unit, put on the handle, mow the corners, and then redo the whole process to mow with your bike again. It's best suited to wide, open yards where you can mow long stretches without turning.

Still, it's probably a bit much to ask any zero-emission mower to perform with the ease and gusto of a traditional gas burner. And, environmentally, the Dynamow's as great as they say. One hour mowing with an inefficient small engine blows about as much gunk into the sky as eleven hours driving a new car. Plus, the Dynamow spreads clippings evenly across the lawn, helping it retain moisture and providing a natural thatch.

If you're interested in low-impact lawn care--or even just giving the neighbors something to think about--look into the Dynamow. You may appear a little silly, but you will end the day with something of a workout, a closely groomed lawn, and a clear conscience.

Available from Dynamow, PO Box 2750, Silverthorne, CO 80498. Phone: 800-739-6266. Suggested price $239.

2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

What a fine rut that bike is gonna leave! :eek: :D

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This guy probably was a LCO and because of the drought turned to this to make end meet. Looks like a joke.

4. It would have to be from colorado:blush:

Silverthorne is about 10K elevation so they would have about 2 blades of grass 6 weeks a year. Might work for that. And if you are a sherpa you might be able to use it there.
    As you can see, strange ideas will enter into your head in those long lonley winter months in the mountains. No girl freind, lets see what shall I do this winter, yah I know, lawn mowers that it.

5. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

This is the kinda crap that plagues us in CA and will continue too. So far we have a 2 cycle mower ban, that's righ l haven't seen a Lawn-Boy at the dealer in about seven years now! These garbage trimmers w/ a cat. converter or the alternative heavy and under-powered 4 cycle trimmers. And the increasing limitations on backpack blower use. I wish these enviro wierdos would find a new cause so l could continue to do business in the manner l'm acustom too. WOW! I've been waiting for a post to vent about this stuff, now I feel better. :D

-Dave

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

If it was wider, I would buy it. I have some un-neccasary baggage to get rid of. :)

7. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Maybe I'll buy one to mount off the side of my Lazer.. sorta like a Flex-Deck...........NOT!!

8. tony58

tony58 LawnSite Member

I guess Al Gore invented this the same time he invented the internet.
    Tony58

9. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I wonder if it stripes well, or if at all:D
    Only an idiot would ride a bicycle around and around his yard pulling a pair of automatic scissors :dizzy: :dizzy: :laugh:

10. JasperStorm

JasperStorm LawnSite Member
    from WA

Why spend money on one of those things when you can accomplish the same thing with readily available tools?

I push a wheelbarrow around while a coworker lays in it on his stomach , with his arms stretched out front, working a pair of hand shears. We always fight over who has to be in the wheelbarrow when we mow steep slopes.