They call em"Mans best friend"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mickhippy, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been mowing for a few years now and never been really troubled by dog, that is until I saw a thread on this or another site. In the last 3 weeks I've been bitten once and attacked (everything but bitten)once. First on the ankle (I love my boots) by a absolutely mental border collie. Then I went to quote this job where the lady told me there was a dog and that she will be there to get me into the back yard. She opens the gate and calls the dog over. It makes a bee line straight for me growling, barking and jumping up showing all its teeth. All the while the ***** (the woman) is just standing there watching the bloody mutt go ape st#t. After what seemed like a life time (I saw my life flash before my eyes) she calls the dog off and puts it away. Then she comes back and just asks how much and "did it give me a scare":angry: I then go on to tell her that I am under no circumstances going to put up with that and that it will cost $30. I really should of walked away. She needed it done for a party of something. It was a great Saturday morning until that happened and I figured that I was there, I was already dirty from the dog and that I would feel really good taking the $$$$ off her. I was almost finished when she comes out, throws the money on a table and walks away with out saying a word. She didn't say sorry about the dog or ask if I was OK or anything.
    I wont be going back there for sure!

Have any of you lot had trouble like this with dogs. And the barking kind as well.

2. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

I just recently cleaned a lawn, and the neighbors dog barked from start to almost finished, at first I tried to talk to it :rolleyes: What a wast of time. Then I just ignored it and it finally shut up for a few minutes, what a pain...

Lou

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Thank goodness, no mean dogs of customers, yet, but I HAVE been mauled by dogs who were wanting love and attention! I have a few customers, that I swear, these dogs look forward to seeing me every week. I was almost bitten by a neighbors dog who would come right to the property line on a leash (I never trusted the chain he was on, anyway), and one day, he was tied just a little bit longer than usual, so he could come over the line. He about got a mouthful of freshly sharpened .095 string spinning at some high r's. THat would have shut him up for awhile.

4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Never in my life been bitten, been mowing 10 years.

Fatboy....there is an answer for your dog encounter...blow him in the face with a strong backpack blower. Can't harm the dog, just annoy him like he annoyed you.

I don't advocate discharging the mower at a dog or hitting him with trimmer line, that's crossing the line to cruelty.

Basically, I think there are 3 types of dogs. The nice dogs, the bad attitude dogs, and the bad news dogs. The first two you can work with.

Nice dogs are nice dogs. Bad attitude dogs just need to be shown who "top dog" is and they are no longer an issue.

Then there are bad news dogs. Poorly trained or abused Great Danes, German Sheppards, Rotweillers, or Canarios are not to be messed with. Don't threaten them or act scared. If attacked you must use a weapon to defend yourself, and make it count you may only have one chance.

KB

5. fatboy5803

fatboy5803 LawnSite Senior Member

Good Idea, I just want to make sure the owners don't see me as these days you can go to jail easier messing with a animal than a human!! :rolleyes:

Lou

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I one time went to do a job and when I was leaving it ran after me and bit and held onto my leg. After I left the driveway dog let go. I guess the underground fence did it some good. The next time I went back it did it again but, I was in no mood to take **** from a dog. I then kicked it off my leg and never wnet back to that property again. :angry: :angry:

I am in no hate of dogs; in fact my best friend is one but, I just can't deal with some little creature biting me.

7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

Dog biscuits usually do the trick. Get to know the dog. If that don't work, then peanut butter will shut them up!!!

8. fairway

fairway LawnSite Member

I use to cut this one house that always keep there dog hook to a rope line very mean dog . So i just cut around the dog and told the owner if they want the hole yard cut they have to put the dog away. Work for a couple of weeks and then the dog was back out. So we got rid of the costumer.The costumer did say the dog would bite. Did not want to find that out first hand.

9. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

I was cutting 2 accounts side by side when the lady cross the street walks over an asks for a cut estimate. Told her I will go look at it when I,m done. She says her dogs in the back yard but wont bother me. She has one of them invisible dog fences. I go walking over there and walked round back and got bit on the calf ripped my good jeans, broke a little skin. The lady runs out grabs the dog, apologizes, offers me a loaf of fresh store bought Italian bread:confused: I wound up bidding the job a little high, since i now really didn't want it, got the job and a check for 2 new pair of pants..I explained to her that it was no big deal, she insisted. She is one of my best customers now and has givin me a couple of her friends houses as well. I am suppose to mow on Mondays or Wednesdays.....thats when the dog is in obedience school:laugh: :drinkup:

10. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

About 6 years ago we were cutting a lawn here comes a pitbull charging at my helper locks on his leg. I have no knife or gun. run to the van a get a trimmer with a brush cutting blade on it. I had to cut the dogs head off. Please let me say i love dogs and have one buy this was the only way to get this dog off of him. My helper was in the hospital for 3 days it tore most of this calf off.