they can't pay you enough, to do it "properly."

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Apr 3, 2006.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

ok, let's face it, you can't possibly build a big client base, charge top $, and do everything text book. the market, will not allow it. with this, i conclude, that the true green people, probably have the right idea. i'll give you a perfect example: fertilization program- if done properly, it should go like this- an initial meeting with the client, to discuss the history of the site (ex: grub issues, etc). then, you should take a soil test. when the results of the soil test come back, you should once again meet with client, to discuss same, and plan a program. let's look at a typical property the size i treat (roughly 3k). u need to have minimum pricing, so, it will (should be priced ) like this- if the soil tests came back good- the initial meeting, charged at at least $50 an hr. let's say with drive time, it took you .50 hrs. ($25 total) . the soil test, needs to be charged at least $50. the return trip to discus the soil test results, and map out a program another 1/2 hr ($25 total). a standard maint program including a pre-em + fert ($40) a post em + fert ($40) a surface feeding insect treatment ( $40). a fall fert ($40). and finally a lime (to maintain ph, that results showed were ok) another ($40). we are now at $300. AND, we have yet to adress the posiblity of grub issues, spot treatments needed for weeds, and the possibility of having to visit the site unscheduled, if the customer has any concerns or wants u to look at something. if this new property should need any of the "unforseen" situations, the minimum price for this (3,000 sq ft ) property is AT LEAST $450-$500, just to treat the turf areas. if everything works out smoothly, it will be AT LEAST $300. can YOU charge $300 to treat 3,000 of turf with a fert program?

2. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Billing it your way, why not?:usflag:

3. SEKscag

SEKscag LawnSite Member

That's a little bit over the top. We can fertilize and spray a year long contract for $350 a Yr. With a profit margin in the 70% mark.

4. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

ONLY U R LUCKY ENOUGH TO TREAT 3K LAWNS 4=== 40 bucks
    most of u have to treat 10 k lawns for 40 bucks
    so sure bob u can charge what u want to do it for a few but most will go cheep and thats that

5. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Depends upon how you are looking at this. Is this a "wham bam thank you ma'am, i got your money and run" type of customer? Or are you looking to retain this customer for years?
    if your choice is the latter, then the first year or two will be the test. You get her lawn looking stupendous, lush and green, then it is minimal products as the years go on. Less is better actually. How do I know this? Simple, do you think we are apply pre-m to our own lawn? No way, there is NO NEED to, we don't have crabgrass. Are we applying insect control to our own lawn? NO NEED to.
    The $$$'s in these fert accounts are in the following years, not the initial first year. Your profit rises as the years go on.

6. bobbygedd

from NJ

well, go thru this with me, step by step: STEP ONE- initial contact (phone), make appointment, and go to thier home, get some feedback on what the problems of the lawn may be, and what's been going on, the last couple yrs. STEP TWO- collect samples for soil test, send into extension office for testing. ok, what's the fee, for the first two steps?

7. bobbygedd

from NJ

somebody, anybody? please walk thru this with me, and show me how you don't work for free. thak you

8. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quite honestly, I don't see you doing a soil test. Your extension office charges around 10 bucks I believe, and it takes about 5 to 7 days to get the results back. In the meantime, have you closed the sale on the client, or left the door wide open while you sit on your soil test.
    I believe you read the ph yourself.
    next question.

9. bobbygedd

from NJ

pay attention, it said, in the original post, "to do it PROPERLY". are you suggesting, a soil test is not neccesary? what do you do, in w.va, just wing it?

10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Step one Free...business expense...

Step two $55 for 1 hour for getting the sample and sending it in...Another $55 for another 1 hour for telling the results and formulating a plan...

Dude, I'm pretty new here but man you are a pain in the ass:laugh: