They don't look pretty, but they are getting done

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, May 25, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

The past couple of weeks as many of you know the people in the Midwest have been gotten more than their share of rain. Heck the 2 weeks I think that it has rained 12 out of the 14 days. So I am getting to the point where I am just cutting the lawns to get them done. They are not pretty looking afterwards, but it will have to do until everything dries up a little.

Anybody else in the same boat?
  2. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes! We are too!!!!!!!!
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We had that last year tiedeman,rain,rain,rain.
    It was not an easy year to keep up.
    I was laughing at the other thread when they were talking about "mud strips."
    We laid our share of them last year.
    Hope things dry out a bit for you guys,good luck.
  4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I am north of you about 40 miles, and our lake is flooding over into peoples lawns.

I have been cutting grass just to get to the next one. I typed a letter today to all customers saying i am going to the 5 day schedual and if they dont like it their yards will look like crap, becuase i am not cuttin 2X. OUR YARDS ARE TRASH.

5. rocksnlawns

rocksnlawns LawnSite Member

IT has been rain rain rain here in Columbus, Ohio too, I cut in evenings and trying to get 17 yards a week done is a bit aggravating, you cut'em to get 'em done and hopefully they don't complain too much, you try and do the best you can but.... IT'S WET !!!! (probably regret typing this in two weeks) WEll two weeks it's the Memorial Tournament (The House That Jack Built) so it's guaranteed to rain through two weeks, I change that to three weeks, sorry Jack but it's the truth !!!! And when it is dry like today the wind is blowin so hard in every direction, I get done cutting one yard and I look like a Martian (from Mars) green, green, green and I don't mean green like George Bush after talking to the press, I mean green blades of grass from head to toe covering up my poison ivy which I got last week after two nice days before a big storm, thanks to all the rain the ivy is going gang busters.

Wet and P.O.ed
  6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I feel your pain as well. ...gotta do what you gotta do!
  7. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I feel for you. Last spring was the wettest one in recent memory. I dont think I mowed a dry yard until the first of July last year. Just have to do the best you can.
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Troy, I am in the exact same boat. A lady complained to me the other day that the lawn just didn't look as good as it has in the past. I told her with the conditions, quality has gone out the window in exchange for just getting her sopping wet lawn cut once a week. What can you do? Can't double cut a lawn that's leaving mud strips and is sopping wet. I'm barely able to cut just to knock 'em down.
  9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Its the same here to iv been using my walk behind blower to dry the lawns works ok.
  10. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was just talking with a friend in the store tonight and they were saying that I bet you love this weather. And I told them flat out no, I would rather have drought weather than this