They found me! Not positive that's a good thing.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bicmudpuppy, Sep 9, 2005.

1. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I had to go and mention hydraulic systems in one of these threads didn't I??? A homeowner I did work for over 5 years ago when I was working for another company saw me and asked for a card. I remembered HIM, but didn't remember much about his system. You would think I would remember the custom 11 I didn't rebuild and installed an ICC with conversion solenoids on wouldn't you? Seems that about 3 years ago, he let someone aerify the lawn.........while they were doing there thing, bingo, zone one came on. They called the outfit I used to work for, and they sent a green kid out with questionable English skills, let alone irrigation experience. They basically ran him off and haven't been able to find anyone who wants to work on the system.......Until they ran into me. They called earlier and I went out to look at it today. Tubes are punched somewhere in the front yard. Four zones are running at once now. Going back tomorrow to hook the garden hose to the conroller end and hope I get a leaker that shows up.

I've even given up asking why me anymore.

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I'm so happy that there isn't a single hydraulic system in my area.

Just out of curiosity, how hard would it be to convert it to a solid state?

I'd imagine you could abandon all the distribution tubes, install solenoid valves and run new wire to your KwikDial?

3. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

The ICC I put in around 5 or 6 years ago still works. We know where 3 of the six valves are. The 3 closest to the clock, but the tubes run under the drive for sure. It would probably rival installing all new to convert it to solenoid valves w/ wire unless I could get lucky and find the main line in back easily. Worst part of fixing or converting lost hydraulic valves is it ends up being mostly hand digging. Imagine what you would charge even on a new system if you had to hand trench the main? Now consider chasing that main with a sharp shooter instead of just digging the ditch? Doesn't that sound just ducky?