They got ME!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jusmowin, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I just knew it ...My day went to smooth for something not to go wrong. It get home from mowing and come in to take a small break before putting everyting away for the day. Next thing I know there is a city inspector at my door telling me that I was in VIOLATION of city code yada yada and I am not allod to have any commercial mowing equipment on MY property. He then proceds to tell me that I have 24 hours to compley or I will receive a summons to appear in court and possibly pay a $1000 fine for noncomplyance. I am a solo operator and only run a 3/4 ton truck and a 6x12 trailer w/ my mowers on the trailer that sets rite next to my house on a gravel driveway and everyting looks neat and tidy so I dont see what the problem is. So I guess this weekend Im putting up a 6ft privacy gate to keep my trailer out of sight of MR CITY MAN!:angry:
  2. jwholden

jwholden LawnSite Member
    from CT

Those guys need someone to report you before they come out. I think you pissed off one of your neighbors. I'd lose the truck in the short term, set up the fence, and then bring it back quiet as a mouse. In the meanwhile, start buttering up the neighbors!
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

been there done that

may 20, 2004.jpg
  4. ZX12R

ZX12R LawnSite Senior Member

I HAVE BEEN THROUGHT THAT ALSO,AND,YES,SOMEONE DID COMPLAIN. Are you sure putting up a fence will get the inspector off your back?
  5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Will the privacy gate make any differnce? Around here once someone complains, only a building will work, and even then can cause problems due to operating a business in a residential area. I would find somewhere else to park until you find out for sure, that really sucks, good luck.
  6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

When you applied for your city business license didn't they know you were running a lawn care business out of your home?
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's what a guy gets for trying to make an honest living. Gotta love the governments, at times.
  8. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

that is why i have different address from where im lisenced to and where i keep my equipment :)
  9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Go and read the zoning code carefully . Take business names off your truck for starters. Use magnetic signs. Owning lawn mowers is not against the law, is there defination of a commercial lawn equipment. Are trailers allowed on the property? All the equipment that is in the truck and trailer can be used at your home. The violation is for your property . What you do with the equipment when it is not on the property is irrevellant.

You can fight and win just read the ordinance carefully and use the law in your favor.

I went thru the same thing , I simply told the county they cant dictate the size of my lawn mowers , I told them I own other properties that I have to mow and that I mow my elderly parents.
    They said I was running a lawn cutting business from my home , I told them that was impossible , I asked them if they ever saw someone bring a lawn to my house to have it cut? You can beat city hall .
  10. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Im not sure the gate will work but its worth a try. Its not the truck they are after(thats legal) its the trailer with the commercial mowers on it witch they say is not legaly supposed to be stored on a residental property. I get along great with all my neighbors as I mow most of their lawns for next to nothing and the others I still get along great with so I really dont think it was any of them. I think what happened was the city man was riding around today and got board and decides to give me crap just because he can about something stupid!