They look like hornets??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pjslawncare/landscap, Jul 27, 2007.

1. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

A bunch of my lawns now have some kind of hornet looking insects flying all over the place. Last week they started showing up, but this week they are everywhere. Way too many to spray, but so far they havent bothered us any. Ive mowed and walked rite thru where they are whithout a problem, but I wonder just what kind they are and if they are even capable of stinging, Best I can tell is that they are about 1 inch long and black with a couple lighter stripes like two belts around their bodies. I see some of then attacking locuses and other large insects. They seem pritty tough :weightlifter: . Hope they dont start going after us, could get real ugly.

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on the area, i have not seen that many in South jersey

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

they are all over my lawns in Flemington right now (Hunterdon County)...and yes, they are the cicada killing wasps.

6. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I personally haven't come across them yet. But I was informed I shouldn't be worried at all about them.

I have on the other hand hit a hornet's nest in a mulch bed we were doing yesterday. There had to be at least 500 of those suckers buzzing around...and they sting!

7. rodfather

We ran right through them, they didn't bother us at all even running the trimmers.

8. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Whatever you do, don't bug them. :laugh:

9. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

The ones that I am seeing look like the head and wings of a wasp and the body of a hornet.

Tim

10. rodfather

same here Tim...those suckers are long too!