they make red for gas, yellow, for diesel, blue for kerosene, but why no mix color?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Right Touch, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Right Touch

Right Touch LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone uses mix! Why dont the gas can manufacturers make a special color for mix so we dont have to label the cans ourselves or risk burning two cycle engines because our employees cant tell when the gas is blue its mix! Common freakin sense on both ends! Someone tell me how to get in touch with a manufacturer and i will make it happen!

2. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

they dont have a color for mix gas becouse mixed gas is gas it belongs in a red can.

Take a sharpie and write the word MIX on your mix can....
    Take a can of spray paint and paint a stripe down the center of the mix can...
    paint the handel black.....
    use a different style can or size for the mix......

3. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I see where you are coming from, Stillwater hit the nail on the head. I use a paint pen. Our two-cycle cans are no-spill, reg gas cans are reg cans.

4. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

we spray paint everything from our 5 gallon gas cans to out 15 gallon gas / 15 gallon mixed tanks on the flatbeds.

stop your whining and get with the program.

5. birdman0494

birdman0494 LawnSite Member

i did something that you might want to try at a time I was running a a t261 and a le 261 and they were both red and my standard 2 1.2 gallon was red so i left it alone, My grandfather bought that touch up paint can for ur z810a which if you guys dont know they are green lol and the g15 which is a pos. So i took the touch up paint and graffiited the straight mix green and ive never did the wrong one in my opinion the mid associates colors better.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I understand but how many more colors, if you think my blue can has kerosene in it think again :p
    Same for the red, some do have gas in them, but not all do, and I have a yellow one I NEVER use for diesel.

Then I use a 2.5 gallon can for mix, everything else is not.

Why, because who the hell woke up and made this rule anyhow, I'm buying the dang can and I'll put what I want in it LOL

7. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

That rule is to satisfy the bureaucrats such as DOT, OSHA, etc. People who do not work for a living and take great joy in intruding such that your work is hindered.

8. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

One more thing, in a fire, gas, diesel or kerosene burns the same. The color thing is supposedly a fire safety issue. Personally, I never had a problem telling between 2-cycle gas and regular. Most fuel tanks on 2-cycle equipment are clear. Regular gas is kind of pale yellow. The 2-cycle oils I use are either green or red and mixed at 50:1. The other thing I do is use a white paint marker to write "mixed" gas on the can in several places. My gas cans are a different size as well. Regular is in a 5 gallon, 2-cycle goes in a 1 gallon. I rather have a fresh mix in the machines rather than an oil one from last week.

9. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD LawnSite Fanatic

i wrapped the handle of our mix can in black duct tape:cool2:

10. Right Touch

Right Touch LawnSite Senior Member

seriously? stop my whining. its a valid question. we should be required to paint gas cans. they should make something different.