They stole all of it!!

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by JMCMaint, Jun 4, 2008.

1. JMCMaint

JMCMaint LawnSite Member

We woke up last Friday to find all of our equipment, trailer and truck stolen from our driveway. Approximately $20,000 in equipment plus a $40,000 truck. Needless to say, we were devastated. As soon as the police got here they had recovered the truck and trailer, but no equipment. Sad part is we're still paying for one of the mowers. We're going today to purchase all new equipment to get back on the road tomorrow. The thieves did $3000.00 in damage to the truck, but the insurance will pay for that (thank God) but no insurance on the equipment. Does anyone know of a company that will insure lawn equipment?
  2. evergreenedmond

evergreenedmond LawnSite Senior Member

check your auto policy, I think some will cover your eqipment if it's hooked up to your vehicle. I am through Farmer's & they have all of my equipment insured, anything over 3K they need a serial number & the small stuff goes on a blanket policy. I think it's called an inland marine policy but I'm not sure.
  3. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

our commercial policy through selective ins will cover equipment
  4. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Yeah I second this ^^^^^^

Your auto policy should cover it all, It was all attached so it was part of your vehichle.
    If they don't cover it, ask them to transfer you to the dept that cancels your policy.

BTW - you have all this equipment but NO BUSINESS INSURANCE??? Gotta have it.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

do you have liabilty insurance? my equipment is covered under the same policy. i think i put a 1000 dollars deductable on it to keep the premium low
  6. zemzabob

zemzabob LawnSite Senior Member

Damn man sorry to hear about your loss hope you get back rolling again soon I hate a thief.
  7. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Southern farm buerau covers our equpment on a seperate policy. Its very reasonable. I think I got about 30k in stuff insured on a seperate policy for about 300 a year.

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

so todays lesson is if you want to play landscaper make sure your licensed and have business insurance.
  9. JMCMaint

JMCMaint LawnSite Member

We are licensed and have liability insurance, but not theft policy on equipment. Our vehicle insurance does not cover anything attached to our vehicle. We are still waiting on homeowners to see if they cover anything since the equipment was behind a locked gate next to our house. Guess we were just a little too comfortable since we've been in the business for 10 years and never lost more than a blower. And....that was on a property where they cut the lock while we were away from the truck. We've taken steps to try and keep this from happening again. We've alarmed the truck with a shutoff switch, we've put perimeter alarms around our entire property and installed a CCTV to boot. But, ya know....they're thiefs, if they want it....... But we are working hard to try to insure ourselves to the hilt!!

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

i had a new blower stolen and my homeowners would have covered it but it was a 500 dollar deductable so it was cheaper to just go buy a new one.