1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

They Sure Aren't Car Salemen

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ZH Turf Man, Aug 19, 2004.

1. ZH Turf Man

ZH Turf Man LawnSite Member

I have been looking at ZTR's for about two months now and I am amazed at the indifference many mower salesmen seem to have. They act like they really don't care if they sell you one or not, end of year price reductions mean nothing to them and they won't entertain any haggling on prices. I'm thinking that maybe it's because we have had such a banner year with lawn care, normally this time of year we only have to mow once every several weeks but with all the rain mowing is a weekly chore. Anyone else had these types of experiences with mower sales people??
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the world of OPE dealers....
  3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Not here I will be buying shortly I'll keep you posted.
  4. ZH Turf Man

Lawnzzzz--Let me know if you meet any friendly, reliable sales people and red hot deals, I'll be down for a mower.........thanks.
  5. beransfixitinc

beransfixitinc LawnSite Senior Member

:angry: :mad:

You know, sometimes, you lawncare people really make me sick to the point we'd like to say to heck with all of you, and start concentrating more on our residential customers.

You must think we get these units at 80% off of list or something. I wish, for a week, you'd wake up in our shoes and see the amount of overhead that is involved in even trying to have these mowers (or trimmers, blowers, etc.) in stock in our dealerships so that when you come in and need to purchase one, there is one here for you to purchase. We don't get the 3 and 4 thousand dollar rebates on units like automobile dealers get from the manufacturer.

You always want to "haggle" on price, or think we should sell it to you for $1 over cost. Truth is, by the time you figure in time spent trying to sell you a unit, the floorspace it takes up, and everything else involved from the dealers side in a sale, there is VERY little left after the sale for us to even call a profit.

Say our yard were what you as an LCO call a $50 yard. Well, I think I want to "haggle", so, why don't you come spend the same amount of time, do the same quality of job, but I only want to have to pay you $27.75 to cut it.

Just imagine what your jobs as LCOs would be like if no OPE dealers could afford to carry the commercial lines anymore due to you guys expecting to get everything under even our cost. It'd be pretty funny :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: to go down to the local Wal-Mart and see all of you there fighting over the last Murray riding lawnmower so that you can get your last 4 yards for the week cut.

I'm sorry if this rant makes some of you upset, but you people need to start realizing that we, as OPE dealers have to make a small profit over our costs just like you as LCOs have to make a profit over your costs in order to stay in business.
  6. woodycrest

woodycrest LawnSite Senior Member

its all about dealer support....to me , price is secondary.
  7. Simplyhere

Simplyhere LawnSite Member

How odd...as you can see from my pathetic post count, I'm new to the forum, YET I have repeatedly seen threads that advise people to "stop shopping for the cheapest price, and start shopping for the best dealer."

I have yet to run across a site that solely uses price to disparage a dealer...most talk about either the indifference of the salespeople, or how the LCO walks into the store knowing far more about the equipment than those they're talking to.

Still, your point is well taken...we all gotta eat.
  8. ZH Turf Man

Wow, I didn't mean to start any controversy and I know there are two sides to the coin after having sold wood and coal stoves for six years. My problem I guess lies with the lack of indifference that has been shown but maybe that's because it's near the end of the season and everyone is worn out!!!!