1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

They want a price again this year...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by JohnnyRoyale, Apr 23, 2008.

1. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

We have been pricing for a property manager for three years now, with zero work awarded to us in previous years. So she emails me last week again and I pulled up last years quote and add 10% to it and send it back to her. Total time spent, 3 minutes. She emails me back a few days later for references, and I send them to her. Now shes checking my references and I'm thinking shes going to award me some work. Theres a total of 8 properties, all of which require summer maintenance and daily year round litter pickups and garbage bag replacements. Three of the properties are side by side, and I basically treated them as one, but divided the quote up for her budjetary purporses. She emails me today she wants to award me one of the three properties, and I respond no thanks...as all three together make sense for me, but one individually doesn't. She snapped....I was feeling a little moody this afternoon and let loose on her, and although I realize my professionalism didnt shine in that conversation, it felt good letting her know I'm not at their beck and call, and basically advised her to look elsewhere for quotes next year, as its obvious shes shopping my numbers year after year to justify her pre made decision. Just thought I'd share this with you and wonder if anyone is pricing the same crap year in year out.
  2. Carolina Cuts

Carolina Cuts LawnSite Bronze Member

may have been a blessing in disguise....
    3 years is long time to keep bidding over and over and over... just to get one job out of it. If you can do without the extra work, then more power to you.
  3. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I have been pricing the same install for 3 years. Each year they call and want the new price quick then don't call back. This year they finally gave the go ahead. Now I wonder if I want it.
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

You just burned at least one bridge.

That may prove to be not such a bright move.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

It burns me too, if the first price wasn't good enough then why bother me again?
    And that happened to me sporadically until I learned a little trick, that is, I got SO tired of it...
    So then I was like pissed off, and I thought about this nonsense long and hard lol.
    Finally the way I saw it, if they were still pestering me, it must be my prices were still generating interest.
    So now I jump the 2nd and subsequent estimate by 20%, and I only had to do that one time before that bs stopped cold.

After I jumped a 2nd estimate +20% that was it, knock on wood but it worked for me.

Yes, yes...
    This, too, I have learned.
  6. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

Its obvious shes basing her decision on price alone. No one in their right mind would go do the one property, knowing the two others are right next to it. My references prove we can do the work, in fact I feel were overqualified for this particular contract, but at the right numbers, we cant refuse. Shes just another smart ass, pulling a smart ass stunt. Is that someone I want to work for-definetly not. Am I going to regret my actions, definitely not. Will I ever work for her, most definitely not. And you know my answer to if I'll lose sleep tonite about it. I have no problem burning this bridge.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Please. He just got rid of a big waste of time, forever and ever. Not every b ridge should be crossed, some need to be bombed.
  8. cspaugh

cspaugh LawnSite Member

More power to ya, who hasent burned a few bridges, fire it up. Guess some people dont have the spine to strike the match. Just my .02
  9. iand

iand LawnSite Senior Member

it would appear to me that you under priced 1 of the 3 jobs so lucky you didn't say yes to the offer and if she rings next year remember to put this one up 20%
  10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

If this was true and have no problem with this then you woulden't have raised a discussion about it. you would have not even mentioned it hear Or have the time to talk about it.