They want me to lower the deck!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, May 15, 2004.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

I have to customers that insist that I lower my cut. I am currently cutting at 3.5" and have told them the proper height (I do this diplomatically mind you) should be between 3.25-3.75. They still insist I cut it at 2.0"! And then they tell me they only want it cut every 2 weeks.

What do you think?
  2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would tell them they have two options:

1. Cut it at 2.0 every 2 weeks for triple the price

2. Cut it at the your height every week for the current price

I ran into this problem about six years ago with one particular customer. They wanted the lawn butchered. Well, lets just say that come the summer months their lawn was toast. They blamed it on me.
    One time after I mowed they wanted it shorter. So I pulled a bobbygedd. I went over it again at the same height (never lowered it) and they loved it. "Doesn't that look much better they told me." Go figure!
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

3. Go take a flying leap!

If they don't take option #2 dump them and never look back. Those types are the biggest PITA immaginable. I do ZERO bi-weekly accounts. "I" make the cutting height decisions based on what I know is healthy for the lawn. Cutting height and frequincy are the top homeowner lawn trashing mistakes.

These kind of accounts are the ones I try to make available to keep the scrubs busy. Those two are made for eachother.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

of course, I totally forgot about that one.
  5. Doster's L & L

Doster's L & L LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them that summer is coming up real soon and you need that height to get it to make it through the drought and heat.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

What I tell them is the 100% truth. I have to take both of my main mowers back to my shop to get them to cut any lower than 2-3/4".

My 36" Exmark walk's drive axle is set at the highest position so I can maintain a level rake at high grass heights. 2-3/4" is about as low as it goes and still maintain a decent rake. It is about a 1 hour job to lower the axle.

I have the stop bolt on my 60" Dixie's height ratchet set at 2-3/4" minimum height so all I have to do is drop the deck to it's lowest position and go. While it is true that the stop bolt can be removed quickly it takes time to reset it to 2-3/4".

When I ask them if they would be willing to pay the labor to adjust the mowers to suit their request they always decline.
  7. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I hope you guys don't get mad at me for this. One thing I've learned in this business, you have to do what the customer asks if possible. If you don't and they can't seem to understand why, they'll get someone who will. I know what height it should be cut and so do most of you but, they want what they want and they'll have it no matter what.
  8. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would go to 3" and say it's 2" and see what happens.
  9. lowmiler

lowmiler LawnSite Member

We cut all of our at four inches except for two and those are cut at 4.25. Three inches is extremely low for us. We would cut alot of dirt that low.
  10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Create an info sheet that explains all the reasons why turf must be cut over 3", and all the reasons it shouldn't be cut shorter than that. Give this to all your customers especially the ones who want it short.

I tell them it takes too long to explain all the reasons, all the info is on the sheet.