1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

they want me to use their fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by trophytkr, Feb 26, 2004.

1. trophytkr

trophytkr LawnSite Member

I got a call from our local menards store and they wanted me to bid all of their lawn care, mowing pesticides and keeping their mulch beds weed free. I just got done meeting with their manager and he told me they had alot of trouble with their mulch beds last year lots of thistle. He told me they want them totally weed free. I asked him if they wanted me to put in more mulch. He said don't worry about that we will take care of that part.
    (in other words have one of their employees do it for 5 bucks an hour). Than he told me that they would like me to use my liquid products for the weed control but that I would have to use their fertilizers! I'm having a real problem with that and am ready to tell him to find someone else. I explained to him that I am not doing it with a 20 dollar walk behind that my machine is calibrated for the products that I use. Granular size, the amount per 1000 sq ft and speed of nitrogen release would make it nessisary to recalibrate my machine for his store and I don't think that I want to do that for only one property. Have any of you guys run into this problem and how did you handle it. It would be a decent addition for the mowing season around an acre and a half with around 1400 feet of fence.:confused:

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

tell them to ake a hike never heard of such crap
  3. Dragonscapes

Dragonscapes LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

I've done contracts like that I usually give them the usual price that I would if I was using my product at $2 less per 1k/sqft It usually works out very well they have the product on site and I just use it however I don't give them the same guarantee that I would if it was my usual product