They wonder why they lose contracts.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NYRookie, Sep 7, 2003.

1. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

Here is a pic of a business next to a couple that I do. They had the same lco until last year when they hired me. I'll be talking to this company soon. And people wonder why they lose accounts.

100_0035-ok.jpg

2. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

There is an LCO that does a business across the street from one of mine, that blows clippings out in the street and leaves them. They also let the weeds grow up in the storm gutters along the curb. Looks very bad on them, but makes us look better.

3. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Never really know about agreement between another LCO and client, unless you speak with both parties. One sided opinions can be stretched/lied about.
    Client may only be willing to pay for minimal service, or could be lousy work from LCO.
    Have run across some property owners that, if left to them, would just leave yard as is, overgrown, weedy, dead & dying, they just flat don't care, city/sub division ordinances are the only reason they'll pay for any yard/lawn work at all.

4. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

Rustic Goat, I know the kind of people you are talking about but these are not one of them. This place is open to the public for a factory outlet. These guys also plow for them and I saw a tractor trailer stuck in their driveway with over 1 foot of snow on the ground at 8 in the morning, when the place opens at 7am.

5. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

NYROOKIE

6. glenjr10

glenjr10 LawnSite Member

NYROOKIE

I work at a place where the only thing that matters is the price, and to make sure that it is cut.

It is cut about every two weeks or more, (I do most of my properties weekly). One of the facilities, has about 6-8" ruts in the fields, and the lawn man take a beating on it.

It would take him (3-men total) 2 hrs with 1-50" mower, and the other 2-wacking/blowing, and he walks away 60-75 dollars richer. I would never, even though I work there, allow my equipment to get beaten around like he does for that price. That equals $10/man hour. I don't know what his cost are, but labor at 6 dollars an hour, that is only around $4/hour for equipment.

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

At least those clumps of clippings were in the lawn! I mow the back yard for a customer in a cluster-home neighborhood where the association pays for the front lawns to be done. The company that does it is always bad, and my customer actually pays me extra to re-trim and edge the front, since they're so lousy at it. Most weeks, the beds in front are coated with a nice crust of grass clippings. Apparently they haven't discovered mulching mowers or bagging. They just discharge on these tiny lots right into beds.

And my wife's ex boss has a nice home in another neighborhood where the association pays for all front lawns to be done. She has told the company doing it never to set foot on her property again, they've ruined her lawn and scalped away much of the grass. Others have done the same. They're rather pay TWICE to get it done right. Amazing.

It must be tough trying to bid jobs like these. Because all it takes is one loser company to underbid you and do it all wrong. They may get fired, but you still dont' get the bid.

But in my opinion, 90% of the work done here that I observe, by larger companies is total sh$$. No wonder they hire just anyone who shows up. You don't actually have to know what you're doing. Apparently anything better than the above photo is considered acceptable.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I would be embarrassed to leave a lawn like that even if they did ask me to cut it that way

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Wear large dark glasses, big floppy hat, over sized clothes, and if anyone speaks to you just say "Si" and keep moving.:D

Really, I likewise would not want to be seen on the property for concern of being associated with that quality of work.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

They only get paid to mow it once.
    John