1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

They're all dumb in my area!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, Jun 29, 2005.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

This is some funny stuff. I'm part time right now so I only have a few days a week of mowing, so I've been putting everything back 1-2 days due to the drought we're having. I also have the blades up to 3.75" to try and keep from burning the lawns.

I went and checked on the accounts I was supposed to do yesterday and they're nice and green still just haven't grown a whole lot, but enough, so I'm going to do them tomorrow to keep the customers happy (telling them I'm stretching them out to 9 days inbetween cuts they think they're saving money or getting more for it). Well I saw 4 companies come into my neighborhood as I was leaving, when I was coming back, all 4 were leaving! They basicly screwed themselves by cutting them too low and burned them now they have to skip a week. Funny stuff I thought, just the fact that they all left at the same time (didn't come in at the same time but passed me as I was leaving). One guy especially, solo operator, i've talked to him before, and he has 3 lazers? Don't ask what for, I can see 2 one for backup but the third must be to pull the other two up if they break?

Time to start putting out some doorhangers "We won't burn your lawn" :rolleyes:
  2. bonerigo.1

bonerigo.1 LawnSite Member

3.75 Seems a little low to me.... the lowest i cut is at 4 inches, most at 4.25 or 4.50 and they still at burned up. BTW they are all cut with a Lazer Z.
  3. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

I keep coming weekly and mowing the same height until the customer calls and says to come less often. You're costing yourself money.
  4. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Normally I cut at 3" but I up it when its bad like this and it works for me, so far none of my accounts are burned. Except the one where the customer cut it them selves, they're now dropped.

I'm not costing myself as much as these idiots that scalp the lawns and are riding around all day not doing anything.