They're Back!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tharrell, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Yellow jackets. I ran over a nest yesterday afternoon before I knew what was happening. I was riding the WB with my Jungle Wheels in 4th gear and I saw a bunch of flying insects swarming around a clearly defined hole in the ground. I was making some nices stripes until then. I was still mowing and looked back to see what they were and my stripe went all to hell. I was out at the weigh station on southbound I-77 and it's a really long stretch of grass. I cut the lower side and when I got about 4 mower widths away, I pumped it up to 5th gear! I was going to do something about them but I didn't even get to finish mowing because of lightning and rain. They'll be waiting for me next week I guess.
    Man, I hope they're not as bad as they were last year.
  2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We have poured gas in the hole after dark when they are not active. I have also seen a pesticide in the powder form spread in and around the hole that sticks to them as they enter the nest.
  3. DiscoveryLawn

DiscoveryLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Are you serious?!!
  4. A.T.A.K

A.T.A.K LawnSite Senior Member

Must be a joke I hope.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Pythrin has the quickest Knock down I know of. I have shot Tree hornets out the sky like skit shooting as they attack me. But use a power sprayer, A back pack just isn't fast enough in the day time.
  6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

You could also use Seven on them. I usually keep hornet/wasp spray with me in the truck. i ran over a nest and they all chased me. i got stung 2 times on the ear, 1 time on the top of my head and a few times on my hands.
  7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hit a nest that was underground spreading mulch two days ago.I got stung two times on my fore arm then ran like hell.
  8. MikeD520

MikeD520 LawnSite Member

Pyrethroids work well. I also use a great product (Konk) for times when there are not many are swarming. It is a insecticidal foam that you spray into the hole and kills any that try to leave or return to the nest.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I will agree that Liquid Sevin has the broadest label of any pesticide on the market and will kill bees. But Think the point here is to kill them before they kill you. Yes they are able to kill you with enough stings. The bees are going to get you, before the Liquid Sevin gets them.
  10. Neal Wolbert

Neal Wolbert LawnSite Senior Member

Carry a can of spray carb. or brake cleaner with you. Shoots about 15' and leaves no prisoners. My mechanic taught me this trick. They work faster than any insecticide I've ever used. Cheap too...Neal