1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

They're here...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kc2006, Mar 1, 2006.

1. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, this years batch is out already! I've never seen it this bad but the lowballers are out. A friend that also owns a company said he got a flier from a couple of younger guys stating "Any Lawn $20". Nope this isn't a justmowit style company (high quantity bust em out fast type) because the lawns in my friends neighborhood are 35-40 dollar accounts :hammerhead: Same with my neighborhood which he said he saw them in also, didn't make it to my place yet.

Looks like I'll be checking to see if they're registered with the state, if not, I'll be making some calls.

Ok hate me for trying to keep the industry standards up there :cry: :waving:

2. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Registered for what?

3. kc2006

btw when I say younger I mean around my age (early 20's), my friend is in his 50's so i used his term...so its not like they're 10 year olds and I'm being a big meany.

4. kc2006

Registered company, paying taxes all the stuff actual companies do...:dancing:

5. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Got some free time huh?

6. kc2006

Must be the day to pass flyers out around here (even though its still cold and snows on the ground), just got a nice little brochure and another company is parked at the bottom of my street about to pass flyers out too! This is good stuff.

The nice brochure I got was a really cool idea, they have a bag, a flyer with a price, a brochure and a little coupon, really nice little package.

7. kc2006

Yes I do actually, snows on the ground, nothing to do.

Your the reason I said go ahead and hate me. Because I knew I'd get idiotic responses saying "Your a moron for turning them in, they're just trying to make a living" No they're not, I'm trying to make a living, they're trying to underbid everyone and F this industry over worse then it already is.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

its early here for them to start but i know it will be soon....nice thing about ohio, most lowballers dont know about the sales tax collection.... thats a good one to get them on.....

when i see any of them in my area i will check with the state to make sure there a state registered business, or i will make the same calles as you..:)

9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

So use it to your advantage, Work out a deal with them where they don't have to advertise and in return you will sub all your last yrs clients to them but at $18 and explain how there saving money on gas and are guaranteed clients. And have a contract drawn up stating the agreement. and a non compete clause for any additional work and new areas that you work in.
    If you have $40 lawn take out your cost and there not $40 lawns by subbing them out at $18 you are guarantied more than 100% profit for doing nothing except getting a signature on a paper and sending out invoices.[ Your still in control] Then go out and get a bunch of new customers at your normal price because the lowballers will be busy figuring out routing what equipment they will be using etc. And once you sign a new customer in an area the non compete clause could keep them out of the area [for a while] if its written by a good attorney.

Money + no work = smart business :drinkup:

10. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

Good thinking but do it before they pass out fliers to your clients.

Tim