Thick grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GTLC, Oct 14, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a two week account with some very nice people in my neighborhood. Depending on the season of course, sometimes it gets pretty thick and I make a mess using side discharge with all of the thick clippings. Is mulching my best option?

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

If it's REAL thick you may want to bag (sorry did I use a bad word??). I have a couple of accounts who have amazing growth and the only way to make them look good is to bag.

3. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

i saw that you sad the bad word bag?around here everyone bags and no one will buy a mower without a blade brake clutch with a town over 100.000 thats a sh-t load of bags are we all missing something?if i show up at someones house with out a bag they would fire me on the spot!they perceive us as being lazy if we don't bag or if we aren't walking and don't even think of riding on anything if its a small walk behind maybe 42" or less i could get away with it but don't ever ride on anything .is this a common problem elsewhere ,we have lco's that have 15- 21" Honda's i see a lot of ztrs now poping up but they are always on the trailer.i think its a big di-k contest you know he who has the biggest toys wins.plus we have the "scabs" you know the guy who stopped at wal-mart to pick up his gear before doing his first job ,the one without insurance or protection for himself or the public.i have a small rig myself but if I'm going to charge for my services then i believe that i should be using commercial equipment and be professional!there are to many people giving us a bad rap i know more people who cut grass then people who don't everyone and their brother.i use to take care of a property for a guy who sold me my house he had a lot of real estate for me and kept me busy well i saw him last week with a trailer and a rider seems i gave him a good idea and i found out that he would charge the owners more than i billed him.:dizzy:

4. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Husq I was only kidding, alot of people on this site really hate bagging. I bag 99% of my customers, up here the grass grows fast and thick and bagging is the only way to have a great looking lawn. Not to mention leaves, we get sooooo many leaves that mulching is not an option.

5. husqvarna600c

husqvarna600c LawnSite Member

oh ok well it is wierd though it seems that hardly any companys use the blade brake clutch i called snapper and they claim that it was not in demand husqvarna use to make one but they quit until now and the new one is not commercial.ariens makes a 21"walkbehind with one but the ariens and gravley commercial do not have. everyone here has a deere jx85 or a honda theres like no middle ground and everyone uses shindiawa trimmers and blowers.i guess we all have our own taste but i wont buy something just because everyone else has one!

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

can you try to move the customers only to a once a week or twice a week schedule?

7. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

you may have to double cut or talk them into a weekly job. Just tell them it looks bad and you dont like to do bad work. And its also bad on your mowers.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

If it is that thick and long mulching isn't going to be much better,You will double cut either way or go over it with a blower.
    JMO.

9. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Have had same situation before, grass grows like it's on hair tonic, at first, client wouldn't hear of anything other than two week service. I said OK, mowed their little forest every two weeks, leaving clump rows all over the place.
    Then they asked if I could do anything about it.:)
    Went through my whole pitch again, they acted like it was the first time they'd heard it. Their choices;
    I could service as I was at the current rate, leaving clumps.
    Could service every two weeks, double cutting, charging double.
    Could service weekly at current rate and have a nice looking yard.
    They can find someone else.
    Been cutting every week since.:D

10. zrider441

zrider441 LawnSite Member

I have several accounts that are cut every two weeks. It was hard this summer when we had a ton of rain. I was using the side discharge and ended up cross cutting the lawn, the first pass I would fly over the yard with my ZTR then slow down on the cross cut. It took alittle longer but it was worth the extra effort.