Thick & heavy OR thin & light blades?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dig Yard Dirt, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Dig Yard Dirt

Dig Yard Dirt LawnSite Member

Which gives a better cut for fescue grass? I bought a set of Gator Magnums the other day and liked the results for grinding leafs. It was a significant improvement over worn out standard blades on my Toro Z.

I really noticed engaging the clutch, the thick heavy Gators take more hp. It slows down the motor for a couples then picks back up. The standards engage and doesn't really make much difference.

I'm wondering if the heavy blades turn slower, but has more momentum is better than lighter faster blades with no momentum for cutting fescue or leafs.

What are your thoughts.

2. naturescaretaker

naturescaretaker LawnSite Senior Member

All I can tell you is that the closer to the coast you get the heavier the blades need to be. The sand will eat them alive. As for the speed (fpm) of the blades, there is no difference.

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I really have never noticed a difference with the thickness, but I have noticed the difference between running singles and doubles

4. Dig Yard Dirt

Dig Yard Dirt LawnSite Member

Wow, I would have thought there might be a difference,,,,,, interesting. I guess the thicker blades hold an edge longer compared to the thin blades.

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yes, I have noticed that thicker blades do hold an edge longer

6. twwlawn

twwlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I use the .240 to .250 baldes, high-lift and gator. The edge lasts longer than the thin blades as mentioned.
    twwlawn

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

amen
    also we use low lift.
    helps them and the deck last longer

8. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing that I would ever change is the lift on my blade. for heavy growth I change to low lifts as it does not rob as much power from the engine.