1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thick lawns post#1

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by hobbsd, Sep 24, 2006.

1. hobbsd

hobbsd LawnSite Senior Member
    from west wi

Ok, so this may be such a basic and general question, but what is teh sevret to getting a deep green thick "mat" lawn that everyone (customers) always want!

I have many lawns that I would call "healthy" bu they aren't thick! My lawns seem to grow very well especially verticly, but not really "fill in" and spread out. My first thought is that I am using too much N, but if I lower the N will that cause thickening, or just cause a lower top growth. Is there a micro-nutrient (Fe, Mg, etc...)that causes this desireable effect?

Some help would be much appreciated!

Thanks *trucewhiteflag*
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

You mean something like this, this is my house. Most of my customers enjoy the same fruits of my labor. I always aerate, dethaching isn't big on my list. I always pay attention to soil, I don't get real crazy but I pay attention. Knowing your soil is key, from there you must follow a turf program specific to that soil or its readings. I love core aeration and power seeding correctly. Watering is extremely important, these pics were shot in very hot and humid August weather the lawn didn't suffer because of the right watering program.
    P.S. Didn't have time to landscape yet, but its coming

3. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you cant have a thick lawn without a good strong root system. potash is key for that
  4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Thick lawns are gauged by Leaves per square inch. This is influence by Plants per Square Inch & the number of leaves on each one.

Start with a soil test to insure all of the nutrients needed are available...Sow seed heavy in full sun...insure ideal moisture so as to enjoy decent germination...protect from ALL insect & disease...Keep Nitrogen on the high side so that each plant holds it's maximum 5 leaves. Mow twice a week.

Density will falter as soon as one or more of these details is neglected.
  5. hobbsd

from west wi

Beautiful lawn! But I can't get a soil sample for everyone of my customers! hmm, good suggestions though.

How important is the mowing schedule? I have been comming under the opinion that having it mowed twice a week (so it doesn't get too tall) is a very important step to obtaining a thickening lawn. Is that opinion correct??

6. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

A soil sample is your best friend when taking over a lawn, ask questions if they recently fertilized obviously don't take a sample yet. If you don't want to take a soil sample then at least just look at the soil, is it hard, soft, mucky, smelly does it contain organic matter or is it new construction are there Oak trees Pine trees, or any other specific type of tree that could effect the lawn in any way. Mowing twice a week isn't practical as a lawn care operator. What they are referring to is not letting the grass get so tall that you are removing more than 1/3 of the blade at a time. This can stress out the grass and cause other problems, like disease and insect infestation. Any plant that is stressed is more vulnerable to attack. If your lawns are growing so fast that you need to cut twice a week you can tweak the N ratios per application, some lawns just need a little tweaking.

O'Donnell Landscaping
  7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

i love how high n is the answer to everything. :hammerhead:
  8. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Height of cut??????
    Timing of fert????????
    Fert quality?????????

Fertilize till you need to be cutting twice a week. I can't believe that someone actually recommended that. Must have worked for truegreen or chemlawn.
  9. hobbsd

from west wi

What kind of top dressing methods are commercially viable?
  10. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

I too enjoy a great lawn, but sometimes you can have a few problems that totally stump you. Bought my house back in December 05 and had 3 and 4 inch gaps where some knuckle heads installed fescue sod summer before. I topdress 75% of the lawn and overseeded in the Spring. It came in beautiful and thick as you see in my avatar and I put a High N fert 25-2-5 about two weeks later.

Look what happen at the end July - August in the pictures in the following thread. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=160584

I agree, soil test, and a fert program or you will run into problems like I did. Luckly for me a put down a fungicide and 10-10-10 and it is back to normal.