Thick wet grass and a 21" Snapper mulching mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by howardsells2000, Jul 26, 2006.

1. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I have three mowers, 21" Snapper Mulching Mower, 36" Ferris WB and 52" Ferris WB. Sometimes because of the gates on my properties I have to use my 21" mower. I hate that. My problem lately has been that I guess because of all of the rain we have gotten lately the grass has gotten very thick and seems to be wet while I'm trying to cut it. It is extremely frustrating trying to mow with this mower. It was purchased new this year and has a 6hp Kawasaki engine. It constantly wants to stall. So I have to go really slow. I have tried raising the height of the cut but it still bogs down and then I have to re-cut the property. It makes me so mad I want to throw the thing in the trash. There is no discharge chute only a bagger. I have thought about unplugging the bagger. I wonder if it would be faster to just bag the grass.

What do you guys do in this situation?

2. newtex

newtex LawnSite Member

I feel your pain... I bought the same mower in April; only with a 7HP Briggs instead. My mower has been back to the shop for backfiring, pullcord snapped (in the first week), and the self-propell lever cable snapped. What kind of blade are you using? If you are using the Ninja, replace it and you will like the results. I went with a Gator and the cut and mulch are much better. You can't beat a Gator for leaves, but to cut grass better get the Hi-Vac blade. Yes, use the bag if it is thick, and the chute will get clogged every pass or so if it's wet. My Hi-Vac also needs a very slow pace to make a good cut. Check the air filter about the sputtering. My machine is very picky about clean air. I can't believe all of the headaches with my Snapper either, but keep your chin up and save for a Toro!

3. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm having good luck with my cheap Murray 4.5 Briggs mulch/mow. I guy I worked with quite a few years back ran two of the same. They never broke down during the season. The handle bars broke once. My handle bars are still solid.

In wet, thick grass, it can be a pain. The side discarge helps a lot. However, you still have to stop frequently to clean the deck. Sharp blades helps a lot. Doing a push and pull to discharge always on cut grass helps a lot.

You'll want to run a high-powered blower when you're done. Recut may be desired if the grass is really thick and high after blowing. I remember one really healthy yard of fescue that we had to cut twice after a shower which hadn't been cut in 2-4 weeks. It was a rental property of one his good clients so we had to do it.

4. Lawntime Mowers

Lawntime Mowers LawnSite Member
    from KC MO

Here's how I fixed the problem:
    http://www.cubcadetcommercial.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10401_17504_85854_33803_-1#

5. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

6. Lawntime Mowers

from KC MO

You should read the page a little closer.
    Standard gate is 36"
    My 48" Cub will fit through 35.5"
    So why am I SO ssttt-stupid???
    I can cut almost anybodies yard faster than most. I would say that makes me a freakin genius.lol.....but that's just me.

7. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

cuz you bought a cub cadet

only kidding ofcourse, maybe i should learn how to reeeeaaddd, might have to look into one of those.

8. Lawntime Mowers

from KC MO

Nah don't feel bad. Most people don't know this thing exist.
    I was told I'm one of only two owners with the Z-Wing in the KC area.
    I wouldn't recommend a USED one....06 model has all the updates without the bugs. I had to have mine upgraded.

9. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

10. mblackburn

mblackburn LawnSite Member

if you cut their grass with a 4.5 horse murray it will look like you cut it witha mower you spent 76 dollars on at walmart...lol