Thick Zoysia - which mower???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gsb0824, Sep 17, 2006.

1. gsb0824

gsb0824 LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I have a yard that was sodded with some type of Zoysia in the Spring and this stuff really came up thick. It has a very fine blade, not like I have seen with other Zoysia turf grasses. It is very thick and I don't have a mower that will properly cut it. My mowers keep stalling and ripping at the grass unless I mow the grass very high. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of mower will properly cut this grass without stalling? Thanks in advance!!

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Zoysia needs to be cut weekly because it doesn't get tall just thick. We use Scag Ztr's and don't have any problems. What type of mower are you using? If the grass is tall you might have to cut it high and cut it again at a lower setting.

3. gsb0824

gsb0824 LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I am using just the basic rotary type mowers. One is a JD STX 38 that doesn't mow it well at all. I also tried using a Honda WB mulching mower. It works better, has new blades, but still have to cut it high.

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

How often are you cutting the lawn?

5. gsb0824

gsb0824 LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Cut this lawn every Saturday. It's not the grass height that is stalling my mowers, it is the type of grass. Even if I am cutting 1/2", the mowers stall.

6. GRNHD

GRNHD LawnSite Member

I have one property like this and I cut & bag every two weeks with a toro 32 wb and never have any trouble. I also sharpen my blade the night before, this seems to help

7. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

if the rotary won't eork, get a reel mower and it'l power right through that stuff. It will also give a cleaner cut on that stuff too.jmo

8. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

pair of scissors work too =)