Thicker Greener Lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by GREEN MONTAIN, Jul 5, 2008.

1. GREEN MONTAIN

GREEN MONTAIN LawnSite Member

I would like to get my Lawn Thicker and Greener, I live in Ohio and am thinking about putting a Bluegrass seed on my lawn.

What would be the best grass seed to get?

How would you put it on drilling it in or is there another way to do it?

When would be the best time to do it?

My backyard gets about 95% Direct Sunlight?
    My soil is clay.

My front yard is very good and needs to be thicker and greener, comparing the two the front yard is 10 times thicker than my backyard which needs the most care to get it thicker.

I mow at 3 inches in height. :drinkup::drinkup:

2. billslawn89

billslawn89 LawnSite Bronze Member

fertilizer and water

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Realizing it's ALL very regional & climate specific...I found that our grasses here really perform better in the Summer heat when they've been kept at 3.75" (or higher) for all mowing's from late April into Autumn. Turf quality seemingly gets better each successive year as the taller grasses finally get a chance to strut. Less weeds, more drought tolerant, and and mo' greener.

A big roadblock (or wall :laugh:) to the above ~ is a mower that maxes out at 3" of cutting height...:wall

I personally prefer tall fescue (rhizomatous) varieties.

Seed in September...as cooler night~time temps are paramount.

4. GREEN MONTAIN

GREEN MONTAIN LawnSite Member

*trucewhiteflag*I will have to see if my mower will go up one more which I think it does.

I hate when people mow as short as possible.

What kind of grass seed do you recommend?

Why is Scott's so much darker than the other grass seed you buy?

I am from Ohio and would like to know what is the best fertilizer to use on your grass?

Is it to late to use Grab Fertilizer on my grass? What should I put on my grass now? :help:

5. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Are there any specific rhizomatous Fescue varieties that you like? Where do you buy it? Lesco dosen't seem to carry any, neither does my local ag supplier. I have been using a Fescue/Bluegreass mix but would like to use an all rhizomatous fescue.

6. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

I'll recommend you do turf research with your local State/county extension office archives... Your regional climate and other local conditions will dictate what works best in your neck o' th' woods.

7. Real Mayo

Real Mayo LawnSite Member

I live in a similar zone in Indiana. I am not researched in grass varieties but I can tell you that 3.75 is optimal height to encourage healthy grass growth. I completely agree with valk. However, for professional services, maximizing the effects of mowing may not fit into a concrete schedule.

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Originally Posted by Valk
    Realizing it's ALL very regional & climate specific...I found that our grasses here really perform better in the Summer heat when they've been kept at 3.75" (or higher) for all mowing's from late April into Autumn. Turf quality seemingly gets better each successive year as the taller grasses finally get a chance to strut. Less weeds, more drought tolerant, and and mo' greener.

A big roadblock (or wall ) to the above ~ is a mower that maxes out at 3" of cutting height...

I personally prefer tall fescue (rhizomatous) varieties.

Seed in September...as cooler night~time temps are paramount.

Lesco-eaten-by-a-Deere doesn't carry rhizomatous fescue, because the long-time Lesco seed product manager, Ev Dennis, is smart enough to know that the whole idea of marketing has been pretty much a marketing scam from the get-go !!
    Trial after trial of fescues in NTEPs done year after year have shown just marginal rhizome growth in various fescues.

The biggist joke is (and certainly one you'll never hear on any Scott's or Barenbrug radio or TV marketing campaign) is that the lion's share of the trials where rhizomes were indeed realized, were where the specific fescues being tested, were being grown in a base of a high % of sand and / or peat moss !! :hammerhead:

Who...other than a GC super....has that under their feet ?!? :laugh:

9. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Green Montain,

You've shown us that you're fairy astute at changing the font sizes, and color of your blog....

Now let's see if you can download a few digital pics on here, of your ugly front yard, and your uglier back yard.

Us being able to see what type of situation, visually, that you've got in your yard right now, will help us to steer you in the right direction with the right advice.

By all means don't genuflect in front of all things Scott's.
    There are equal products in the market that are available to the retail customer.And, frankly, in these tough times, any savvy shopper can probably get them at next-to-wholesale pricing with only minimal effort.

.......And what the h*** is "Grab Fertilizer" ?!? :confused:

10. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

If you meant "crabgrass fertilizer", yes, it is too late. I always seed between Aug 15th and Sept 15th. I aerate the lawn in both directions (water heavy first), then broadcast the seed right on top. Apply a good starter fert at the same time and again 3-4 weeks.

Water, water, water!!!

Ask your local ag supplier about the best seed to use in your area. It's no good for us to recommend some seed that you can't get. Like most things, "You get what you pay for." Buy a good seed.