Thickness of steel for cage

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by fivestarlawnken, Dec 28, 2001.

1. fivestarlawnken

fivestarlawnken LawnSite Senior Member

Need help form the welding guys!!!!!!I'm starting to plan out a cage,for the front of my trailer.This would sit in the front and hold and secure weedeater,blower back pack blower etc.My question is what thickness of steel should I go with? Any help is appreciated.Welding is not my field.Thank You

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would say from 1/8" to 1/4"

3. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

That seems like a good thickness. I asked my grandfather that used to be a welder, and he said that that would work well.

4. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Somewhat of a "guess" here, but for what you're describing I am thinking of an angle frame using either 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1/8 or 1 x 1 x 3/16 angle, and expanded metal mesh to close it in - I would suggest using something like 3/4 - 9 flattened wire mesh. (It has the diamond-shaped openings and is fairly strong, as well as being relatively easy to weld. Lighter mesh is more difficult to weld and can get bent/dented fairly easily)

I would recommend against using tube, because this will result in closed areas that can (and will) trap moisture, eventually resulting in rust. :(

Size listings for angle show the size of each leg and the thickness of the material. Thus, 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1/8 angle has legs that are 1-1/2" wide, and 1/8" thick. Angle can have two different size legs, for example 2 x 3 x 1/4: One leg 2" wide, the other 3" wide, material thickness 1/4"

5. swn

swn LawnSite Member

I am planning on building the same thing and was wondering if anyone might have a picture of one that they have on their trailer.

6. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

I'll try and get a pick of the 2 I built last year for my 5 x 10 trailers. They sit up front about 30 inches off the floor. I used 1.5 inch angle (1/8 thick) for the frame. The"box" is enclosed with expanded steel. They came our strong- in fact, I can stand inside (and I weigh 200). Each cost around 115, including angle, mesh, and paint.

7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

That diamond angled mesh is really nice - very strong and light too, affords good access and lets the equipment breath/leak/etc... I really reccommend using it. One tip - when putting the cage on the front of the trailer, make sure that the equipment you plan to load on in the front will clear the bottom of the cage! Very important!!

8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure that you brace the diamond mesh. It is strong but will bend and sag and then look like crap.

9. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

Good point. I've used a l-o-t of that diamond mesh to build guards for machinery, and typically it's 3/4 - 9 flattened mesh. Anything larger than a 24" x 48" opening usually gets additional crossers to keep the mesh from sagging as CT18 mentions.

If it's a floor - I've used it for catwalks as well - I often put the crossers at 12" centres.