Thiefs Are Getting Smarter

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass_cuttin_fool, Jul 13, 2005.

1. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Last Thursday tropical storm Cindy was in town so In decided to go by the mower dealership and look at some equipment and just pass the day. While I was there, another LCO (I didnt know him) was buying a new trimmer rack, blower rack, 2 new trimmers an edger and a back pack blower. I said to the dealer wow a nice sell on a rainy day. His reply was yes it was , but I hate to sell stuff like that. Turns out that on wed eve, the LCO was mowing and had everything locked on the trailer. Well someone took a battery powered sawzall and cut the trimmer rack and blower rack off the trailer and took them and will get the locks off later. So beware just because we have locks on our racks, they are starting to cut them off the trailer if they are bolted or welded on now :realmad:

2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

Too bad we couldn't punish like other places.....steal..lose a hand...steal again..lose an arm....

3. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I'd keep my tools in an enclosed trailer to keep this from happening.

4. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's horrible. Sounds like a professional thief. I could think of some other things to cut off with the sawzall if you caught him in the act.

5. Sitnduck

Sitnduck LawnSite Member

I was in a shop Monday and had similar experiences.
    They sold a back blower to an LCO who had his 3 mo. old one stolen the previous week. Said they had walked around a building, sent one of his guys back to the trailer to lock it and... too late.
    Seems like they had been followed and the thief lucked out with an opportunity.
    Shortly there after a man came in who's trailer and equipment had been stolen a few weeks before and he was still trying to get back on his feet.
    All new equipment now so he needs to watch out even more.
    So many thiefs love to double back for a second helping.
    So watch out when you buy that used equipment! Ask for their records.
    If law enforcement finds you with it, the least they do is confiscate it and it becomes your out-of-pocket lose.
    Are their currently any web sites for people to post their stolen equipment serial#'s? Just curious??

6. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

Someone could take a sawzall to that too....... :(

7. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

And whats to keep the theif from just cutting the wall of your trailer. Almost as easy as the trimmer rack, I would think.Or cut the handles that have the locks on em and lower the door.

Locks keep honest people honest. IF someone wants your stuff bad enough, they will get it.

8. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you reinforce the interior walls with diamond plate steel, I doubt they'd get your stuff easily by cutting a wall out. as for the doors, I think I'd be more willing to use a semi trailer about 23' long and a small tractor to drive around. just rig up a real long ramp to get mowers in and out of it and all is set for work.

9. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

They must have learned it at thiefsite.com :p

10. clay duncan

clay duncan LawnSite Senior Member

i had an enclosed trailer that i thought was fort knox. it was broken into so easily by simply cutting the latch away that the lock goes through. lock still locked and hanging there untouched. the trailer was backed up to a condo with at least 25 windows overlooking it. if a thief wants it he will probably get it.....something else to ponder, if they were to get caught, our great justice system will do next to nothing to them so in reality they have nothing to lose.