1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Thieves strike big

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shadetree Ltd, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

Well, it happened to us this past weekend. Our fully enclosed trailer loaded with equipment was stolen from our yard. The trailer is a Wells Cargo 8 x 14 x 6.5 and had almost everything in it. Words cannot express my anger right now. In the trailer was 48" Exmark Turf Tracer, 36" Exmark Turf Tracer, 4 Toro commercial 21" mowers, a Tru-Cut blade edger w/ 4 hp Honda, Billy Goat "Termite", 5 Shindaiwa blowers (3 EB480, 2 EB500), 5 Shindaiwa line trimmers (3 T230, 2 T260), 3 Shidaiwa Hedge trimmers (2 double sided 30",1 single sided 40"), brand new Shindaiwa P230 Multi Tool with both the articulating hedge trimmer attachment and the pole chain saw, $300 Jameson pole pruner, 12' orchid ladder plus over $1000 in misc. like extra Goat bags, hand tools, tool box...

99% of the time the trailer is parked behind one of our dumpers, but this past weekend one was getting a flat fixed and the other is out doing bed work and wasn't parked at the shop. This weekend they only had to pull up and cut the padlock on the tongue :(

Insurance will hopefully cover most of it, but check your wording policy closely, our policy depreciates the equipment :( :cry: Everything was 3.5 years old or newer so we should be OK. Next trailer WILL be GPS equiped & tracked.

If you do not already have all your equipment listed in a single form I highly suggest you do so. Here is a copy of our blank equipment inventory sheet for reference (unfortunately our present inventory is all that you see listed...)

Attached Files:

2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

That really sucks about 2 months ago someone broke into my house and stole a bunch of guns and other stuff, I was on fire I was so ticked off.:angry: That same week that they broke in, they tried breaking back in to steal the rest of my guns, but I had an alarm put in during that time. Then about three weeks ago, I quess they came back and stole a $500 dollar chain saw out of my garage. My insurance was only going to give me $113.00 for it after the deductable and the deprectiation, I told them to keep that money and I would just take a loss.:cry:
  3. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I wonder what people are thinking when they do this? I could never live with myself getting caught (if I had a criminal mind). It is obvious people like this have a care free attitude and don't care what others think of them. Alot of this is attributed to drugs.
  4. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

I feel for you man !
  5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought an enclosed trailer, mainly for the security it would provide to all my equipment. So yesterday I was calling around to buy a coupler lock, the kind that goes over the bottom to keep someone from hooking it up and driving away. I almost bought one until a fellow told me that one good lick with a sledge hammer would break it clean off, so now that plan is off.

So how does a person lock a free-standing trailer parked in the driveway?

I was also told that a Grade 10 hardened chain could be woven through the wheel spokes. Another idea was a cable, but I think they can also be cut with a bolt cutter.

If anyone has a proven method for trailer security, I’d like to hear it. Parking in a fenced yard is not an option for me.
  6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

if they want your stuff bad enough no matter what you do they are gunna try to take it .
  7. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

If they want it, they will probably take it. Our trailer has/had an car alarm installed. Both doors had sensors, and we had a tilt sensor that would activate the alarm if it was raised to hook up to a truck (the sensor would detect if the trailer was not level). All of the alarm was glued inside the walls so that it could not seen, even from inside and we had a siren mounted inside that made it difficult to stand inside when it was going off. The alarm also flashed all the lights on the trailer and sent a feed to the trailer brakes to lock them up. I would look at a good coupler lock, as well as a good padlock. Master lock makes ones with solid metal shrouds to prevent bolt cutters, and it is my understanding that the round locks are tougher than the standard cube shaped locks. A coupler is no gurantee but another deterent or device to slow them down. If this trailer is not found I will have another alarm installed with an extra siren externally mounted somewhere in a secured box as well as a second internal siren. I will also install GPS tracking on it. A friend has it on his enclosed trailer. It costs $30/month and his trailer is tracked every night from 10:00pm to 7:00am. If he notices it missing a simple phone call to the police and it will be found pretty quick.

8. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

you would think someone would have come up with a tamper proof coupler by now . im sure a guy could get rich off a good idea
  9. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Well...if you park it in your driveway and your truck in the garage, pull the rig forward into the drive and truck into garage leaving trailer hitch on outside of door, unhitch, pull truck all the way in and lock up trailer however you like. That might work but you have to rehitch before going anywhere in the truck.
    good luck, sorry to hear your loss.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

shade tree--the gps thing...is that LOJAC (sp?). I hear lojac works.

I wonder how many members would fight to keep their trailer from being taken and how many would rather see it go down the drive and run no risk of being hurt?