1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdb landscaping, Apr 6, 2003.

1. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

well, i was under that impression, "it wont happen to me".
    Last night, somebody cut the padlocks off my rear door to my enclosed trailer, and stole a sthil br400 backpack, 9hp honda little wonder wheel blower, split boom echo trimmer with powerbroom attachment and all my tools! i am steaming! if anybody out there sees this on ebay, please let me know. luckily, they left my exmark lazer and scag and some other things, but it totatled about $2,300 worth of equipment that they got. I dont understand why they didnt take the trimmer and brush cutter attachments that werent locked along with the trimmer. stupid scrubs. Sorry, just had to vent!:angry: :angry:
    Thank god for insurance though.
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry to hear about that.........hopefully they'll get caught and punished.
  3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Only PLUS I can see to this is at least they didn't go through the sidewall of your trailer with a sawsall.
    AMEN on insurance.
  4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about that,had some thiev'n happen last year myself.Seems like mowin equip is as popular as guns these days to steal.--I hope you get your stuff back.:(
  5. mdb landscaping

ya, im glad that the trailer wasnt damaged besides replacing the locks for $14.
  6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Could you put a car type of alarm on trailer, type activated by dome light or motion? A car battery hidden somewhere would supply all the power needed.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I hate to hear about s*** like this. I know how you feel. I had 2 Pequea 16" landscape trailers stolen a year and a half ago...$3300 a piece. Man I was p***ed off big time:angry:
  8. mdb landscaping

i was discussing that alarm idea with my father. we were wondering how to go about doing it without adding a battery. anybody can lop locks off, or just cut a hole in the trailer like stated above. i do know they make battery operated motion detectors, which could be a possibility. i had it parked in an office park type area at my dads office, but im going to find a better place to park it. you wouldnt think that type of theft goes on this town, but i guess it does. it seems everywheres i drive now, i take a second look at trucks and trailers to see if i can spot equimpent. ill probably never see it again. guess the power equipment guy will be getting a few sales tomorrow. at least its going to snow 10 inches tomorrow, so i have some time before spring cleanups start again.
  9. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I would just go to a local car alarm shop, bestbuy or cuircut city and ask what would be the best way to go about putting in a alarm in your trailer.Would be nice to have a pager type device to let you know when your alarm goes off.
  10. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 48' enclosed gooseneck that I used to sell NASCAR stuff out of at races. I had an alarm installed that was the same as what they use in retail stores. I had contacts on all the doors and one motion sensor. It had a key pad at the exit door and you set the alarm as you leave. It was time delayed to allow you to get out and shut the doors. I powered it all with a marine battery. It worked great.