Thin blade Tall Fescue

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by precator, Aug 19, 2012.

1. precator

precator LawnSite Member

Can anyone recommend a good tall fescue brand name seed that is thin bladed versus the wide blade tall fescue. I like the look of the thinner blades.

2. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

If you mean thin compared to K-31, they all are. If you mean as thin as KBG or ryegrass, the answer is none. TTTF is also an unstable species in this regard. In close stands, it will be thinner. However, it typically starts to bunch (it is a bunch grass), and when it does the blades get almost as thick as K-31, even in the better cultivars (eg, Falcon). You might try the Scotts Thermal Blue blend, which is about 60/40 (by seed count) TTTF and HKBG. Allegedly, the HBKB keeps the TTTF crowded enough to keep the the TTTF from bunching too much. Or, if you are willing and able to keep reseeding all summer, you can have a pretty decent TTTF lawn with mostly medium blades.

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

If buy turf fescue and seed it thick the grass blades will stay thin
    Dont buy K31 thats more for fields not lawns
    You want realy thin blade get some creeping red fescue you will love mowing it LOL
    I always put 10lbs per 1k all lawns I install new
    ppl thinks its something else besides fescue blades are thin but if seed 6-8 lbs the blades will be wider since the lawn thinner the grass will grow a wider blade

4. maynardGkeynes

maynardGkeynes LawnSite Senior Member

That should work in a lot of places, but the thing one has to watch with the higher seeding rate with TTTF is damping off, which TTTF is quite susceptible to, especially in the fall when there is going to be more dew forming.